Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Is there any way to start up the MSN messenger software and have the status "Appear Away"? I heard there are ways of doing it in the pc world.
Any suggestions?
Thanx

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Appear Away? There are two features, Away and Appear Offline. I'm not sure which one you want, but you can automatically Appear Offline by selecting 'Invisible' while logging in.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 300

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
After you log in, log out with Command+G. Then attempt to login again with Command+G. It gives you the option of logging in with a sign-in status of Online or Invisible (which is Appear Offline). That's the only two options I know of.

spookykids

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2004
Norway
Take my word, MSN messenger for mac is really bad, up to the point of unusuable.

I recommend you switch to Proteus. Much more customizable with many cool skins and sounds, and you can log on in any way possible.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I agree with spookykids on this- msn messenger really is not good for mac. I use adium, so I can't really help with msn messenger, but with adium I know that if you quit while an away message is up, when you start up the program again, your away message appears automatically.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
tomf87 has it right. You can set it to log you in as invisible, or visible, but not "away".
msn messenger for mac works great for me. all my family uses it, so i can talk to them. yay!

Lee Tom

spookykids

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2004
Norway
LeeTom said:
tomf87 has it right. You can set it to log you in as invisible, or visible, but not "away".
msn messenger for mac works great for me. all my family uses it, so i can talk to them. yay!

Lee Tom

You can still use several other clients such as adium, proteus and fire that also support the msn messenger protocol. And take my word and probably the word of thousand of other mac users, dont use msn messenger. Make the switch to another client.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I had trouble with Adium, although I can't recall the specifics. Proteus deleted 8 people from my contact list :eek: and I haven't tried Fire. So at the moment, I'll continue to use the official client.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
I tried Adium, it mushed all my contacts from various services into one big list, deleted some groups, removed half my contacts and just generaly acted stupid.

I have NEVER had any trouble with the offical MSN Messenger client, so I use that.

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
ok ok ok ok!
Somehow while typing I knew that as soon as I mention that I am using a MS software I will trigger comments of how evil it is for my computer.

But thanks alot for all the help on "appear offline" (my mistake in my first message, of course I didnt mean "appear away").

(and thanx for the suggestions of the non-ms-messengers, will take a look at that.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Jalexster said:
removed half my contacts

Did you recover them or did it remove them from the server too? I lost them completely, even after signing back in with the official client, and I had to add them again. :eek:

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
They were removed, but thanks to trillian on Windows, I got them back, because Trillian can automaticaly add everyone who has added you to thier contact lists, onto your contact lists.

I'll make it clear. If they have added you, Trillian puts them on your list.

I never add people. I always get added by others. So I got my contact list back to normal.

I used to use Trillian, but it dosen't handle large amount of contacts all that well (MSN Messenger puts all your online contacts at the top of your list. Trillian dosen't. When you have over 70 contacts, it's hard to tell which are online). So I use MSN messenger on Windows and on Mac.

Remember, a Windows computer is safe if you are smart when you browse (see my sig).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.