MSN Messenger client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ----Bowie----, Nov 7, 2004.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Can someone recommend a good MSN Messenger client?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I use amsn. It works pretty well, supports file transfers, avatars etc.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just use MS' official client, after running into too many problems with third-party ones (usually just small things, but I've been a bit scared to try unofficial clients ever since Proteus deleted several friends from my list).

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Fire is old news, take a look at Adium X. www.adiumx.com

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Fire hasn't given me the problems, ummm, adventures the other 3rd party clients have. Still, the MSN Messenger client isn't so bad.

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I've actually had problems connecting to MSN using the regular MSN client. I moved to Fire based on a recommendation from this forum, and don't have any problems with the connecti on now (Plus, I only have 1 program running for ICQ and Yahoo as well).

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm an Adium X user as well...

Have used a number of official clients and third party clients on both Mac and PCs... and well my continued use gives you my verdict!

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Judging from the Desktop thread, Adium is the unofficial app of Macrumors! :p But Fire works just as well, perhaps not as pretty, as does the official MSN client.

It's just down to personal preference, rather than a 'killer' feature. So test them out and see which one you prefer. Personally I just use iChat for the AV features.

10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

http://www.mercury.to

thats what I use...

works on Win/macOSX/Linux, One client fits all ;-)

has more options than MSN for Mac (don't know if Fire/Adium... etc are better or not but I like this one) shows you when poeple have removed you from their list (optional 'fake friends' color scheme...) you can automatically logon in any status you want... use more than one logon at the same time (tabbed msn windows) avatars... webcam support in the future...

J

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I'm using amsn.

I haven't manage to get adium x working, because i'm behind a firewall and uses vpn connection to my internet supplier.
    I've never got eiter adium x or gaim working (adium x is a gaim macosx port??)

MS Msn works, but many features won't work since I can't change the ports witt msn.
    amsn is almost fully customizable, it has many plugins, like conversation reminders/itunes++++
    Tha latest version 0.94 also fixed a lot fo the bugs earlier