MSN Messenger compatibility questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hungarianguy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

I have couple of questions on using MSN Messenger on a iMac G5:

1. is the IChat program that comes with the imacs compatible with msn messenger (can I send messages / videos to my family members that use msn messenger on windows)

2. when i install msn messenger it seems to only install for the current user and not for all the other users. Do i need to install seperately for each user?

3. the msn messenger for mac does it let me send my video? the one that comes with windows does.

thanks,
    dan

2. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

3. lordmac macrumors regular

h let me try and answer this

K well fist no you cant im people using msn messenger using ichat. 2nd yes like you said the the msn messenger client for macs dose not support video/audio yet. As for you question about iChat being available on windows, ichat is not available for windows but it is still compatible. Let me explain: iChat uses the AOL instant messenger(aim for short) service for it's im capabilities. So your friends can get Aim for there pc's which is compatible with ichat and has video/audio support. Aim is very similar to msn messenger, in fact msn messenger is just a Microsoft's copy of it. The one thing is, is that aim is not compatible with msn messenger ( they tried to make it compatible for a while but then aol filed a number of law suits and then Aol and msn started bickering about it and in the end msn wasn't allowed to make them compatible.). They are competing products so AOL getting mad wasn't unreasonable thing to do.

- ok well I think that came out sort of garbled but I think I got the point across. Also ichat is great I use it all the time to do video chat with my friends who use a pc's and aim. Though fortunately with me all my friends already used aim so I was all set.

you can aim here: http://www.aim.com/ its not a bad client just not as pretty as ichat

4. mcarvin macrumors regular

Might be worth mentioning that Tiger's iChat will have Jabber connectivity. Because Jabber let's you use a single IM gateway, it's possible (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you could configure iChat to speak with MSN users. Don't know if that's text-only, or would handle a/v chatting.

5. lordmac macrumors regular

wow im zoning out..

Wow I completely forgot about tiger ichat updates, I must have been zoning out. I couldn't tell you weather you were or correct other then that there will most certainly be big improvements of ichat is tiger. :)

6. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

when will this jabber connectivity happen.

most people that I know on pc use msn messenger hence i would love to be able to connect ichat to msn with video.

7. mcarvin macrumors regular

It will be part of Tiger in April-June '05. Until then, Adium X, Proteus, and Fire are your best bets for a unified messenger client.

8. lordmac macrumors regular

ya but

ya but he was looking for one that supports video/audio stuff which is why he was inquiring about ichat. ;)