Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
jared_kipe said:
if you are using Tiger, (I assume you are), you could use jabber through ichat to talk to your MSN buddies.
I use this method and it works great. Here is a good tutorial on setting it up.

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber

Just change his instructions on adding the accounts to address book to match this set up:

email%emailserver.tld@msn.jabberserver.tld

The msn in front of the jabber server is what makes it work.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Proteus is a nice alternative to Adium as well. Either way, Adium and Proteus are both extremely better then MS' MSN for Mac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ahhh, yes, while we're on the topic of multi-platform chat, one more option is Fire, which is multi-platform. I haven't played with it much, though. I think, so far, as of the last update, Trillian is actually my favorite multi-platform IM ever, but it is PC only, AFAIK.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
be warned, the mac version of MSN is BRUTAL. As with everyone else I must recommend adium. It takes a little while to get used to a new interface but once you do it's great.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Man, I feel sorry for those of you who have to use msn messenger on the mac because really the best instant messaging experience by far imo on the mac is just using ichat with the aim system. There is nothing like isighting with your girlfriend till 7am. An experience i very happily just had last night. :D ;)

pusman83

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
I kinda like the simple uncluttered mac version of MSN Messenger. Not having display pics kinda sucks, though.

I'm having a problem with it: the MSN icon in my dock reverts to the "Applications" icon when it is running.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Also aMSN if you want to use webcams, have your songs appear in your name etc. It also had addons that are like Messsenger Plus!.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
howesey said:
Also aMSN if you want to use webcams, have your songs appear in your name etc. It also had addons that are like Messsenger Plus!.

Good point, but Proteus can also display what ever song you're listening to in it as well, and I'm sure Adium can as well. Plus, aMSN is a nasty java application if I remember correctly.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I gather in the states everyone pretty much uses the AIM network. Over here in the UK I don't know anyone who uses anything other than MSN. Universities over here live off it. I really wish the Mac version supported personal messages, winks and nudges.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Microsoft messenger for mac is ass.
Adium is probably the most stable.
aMSN has great features but is ass too.
Mercury is the only way to get all the features, yet remain with pretty good stability.
I use mercury because I am sick of the error messages when my friends need to nudge, wink and play crappy games and then I need to explain to them I have a mac, then they still give me the windows download link, so I explain to them what a mac actually is and it's annoying.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
epepper9 said:
Mercury is the only way to get all the features, yet remain with pretty good stability.

I finally tried Mercury in detail because I wanted to webcam with someone. It's really pretty good. Although I still use Adium unless I need to webcam.

Stupid and semi-OT: So on PCs, is webcam chatting on MSN text/video with no audio (unlike iChatAV for instance)? That's what my friend said hers does, and it surprised me. Also I tried to iChat with an AIM user... does AIM on PC support simultaneous bidirectional audio and video, or also only video + text?

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Spanky Deluxe said:
I gather in the states everyone pretty much uses the AIM network. Over here in the UK I don't know anyone who uses anything other than MSN. Universities over here live off it. I really wish the Mac version supported personal messages, winks and nudges.

Exactly. All my American friends are on AIM and all my UK friends are on MSN. And since my fiancee is on MSN, that means I'm on MSN most of the time.

While iChat is cool, I love the way MSN archives chats (and for various reasons I'm in the archives quite a bit). The iChat equivalent isn't intuitive enough.

I would do anything for a version of MSN that supported the iSight camera. Sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.