MSN Messenger for Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GreyFox1221, Jun 27, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

Is there anyway to get it for Mac? (Just got my Mini today!!!!!) :D

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're using text chat only (and not audio/video) then it may also be worthwhile to consider adium -- it's free, and it does MSN, AIM and Yahoo. :) www.adiumx.com

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

if you are using Tiger, (I assume you are), you could use jabber through ichat to talk to your MSN buddies.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I use this method and it works great. Here is a good tutorial on setting it up.

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber

Just change his instructions on adding the accounts to address book to match this set up:

email%emailserver.tld@msn.jabberserver.tld

The msn in front of the jabber server is what makes it work.

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Proteus is a nice alternative to Adium as well. Either way, Adium and Proteus are both extremely better then MS' MSN for Mac.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, yes, while we're on the topic of multi-platform chat, one more option is Fire, which is multi-platform. I haven't played with it much, though. I think, so far, as of the last update, Trillian is actually my favorite multi-platform IM ever, but it is PC only, AFAIK.

7. stevey500 macrumors 6502

I have used Adium for like 5 months.. and i downright love it, but if you want the messenger 7.0 features, there is Mercury

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

be warned, the mac version of MSN is BRUTAL. As with everyone else I must recommend adium. It takes a little while to get used to a new interface but once you do it's great.

9. lordmac macrumors regular

Man, I feel sorry for those of you who have to use msn messenger on the mac because really the best instant messaging experience by far imo on the mac is just using ichat with the aim system. There is nothing like isighting with your girlfriend till 7am. An experience i very happily just had last night. :D ;)

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Adium is the only instant messaging solution for the Mac worth wasting your time on.

11. pusman83 macrumors regular

I kinda like the simple uncluttered mac version of MSN Messenger. Not having display pics kinda sucks, though.

I'm having a problem with it: the MSN icon in my dock reverts to the "Applications" icon when it is running.

12. pusman83 macrumors regular

Can anyone help me with the dissappearing icon?

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Delete the application, then re-install it.

14. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

there is a tutorial on using jabber in http://allforces.com.

imo, a better could and should be made (because i tried it, and it didn't work). :rolleyes:

15. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

16. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I can taste the sarcasm.. :p

Expect iChat to be compatible with more services in the future with the hiring of Justin Wood.

17. howesey macrumors 6502a

Also aMSN if you want to use webcams, have your songs appear in your name etc. It also had addons that are like Messsenger Plus!.

18. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Good point, but Proteus can also display what ever song you're listening to in it as well, and I'm sure Adium can as well. Plus, aMSN is a nasty java application if I remember correctly.

19. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I gather in the states everyone pretty much uses the AIM network. Over here in the UK I don't know anyone who uses anything other than MSN. Universities over here live off it. I really wish the Mac version supported personal messages, winks and nudges.

20. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Microsoft messenger for mac is ass.
    Adium is probably the most stable.
    aMSN has great features but is ass too.
    Mercury is the only way to get all the features, yet remain with pretty good stability.
    I use mercury because I am sick of the error messages when my friends need to nudge, wink and play crappy games and then I need to explain to them I have a mac, then they still give me the windows download link, so I explain to them what a mac actually is and it's annoying.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I finally tried Mercury in detail because I wanted to webcam with someone. It's really pretty good. Although I still use Adium unless I need to webcam.

Stupid and semi-OT: So on PCs, is webcam chatting on MSN text/video with no audio (unlike iChatAV for instance)? That's what my friend said hers does, and it surprised me. Also I tried to iChat with an AIM user... does AIM on PC support simultaneous bidirectional audio and video, or also only video + text?

22. McBain macrumors member

Exactly. All my American friends are on AIM and all my UK friends are on MSN. And since my fiancee is on MSN, that means I'm on MSN most of the time.

While iChat is cool, I love the way MSN archives chats (and for various reasons I'm in the archives quite a bit). The iChat equivalent isn't intuitive enough.

I would do anything for a version of MSN that supported the iSight camera. Sigh.

23. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

Does Mercury and aMSN support the iSight, if so, I'm getting one.