MSN Messenger:Mac Constantly needs to be updated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alielizadubois, Feb 28, 2007.

1. alielizadubois macrumors member

My MSN Messenger gives me a message saying it needs to be updated every time I restart/turn on my computer. I update it every time, and add the "new" (though its the same version every time) version to the applications folder. I orignally installed it with my Microsoft Office 2004 package, and then trashed it, and downloaded the version from the website, but it made no difference... I still get the same message regardless.

This is really annoying... and its always the Microsoft programs I have problems with, first word, and now this! No wonder I switched! lol

Anyway, if anyone can help that would great!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I hugely recommend Adium, it is a lot better...

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yep! Ditch Microsoft MSN Messenger for Mac, it's a pile of doggy doo doo.

Adium does everything MSN will do, plus more...

4. alielizadubois thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you guys... but I have a question about Adium vs. MSN Messenger... Messenger notifies me when I have an email, will Adium do that??

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately not

6. Frohike macrumors regular

I had the same problem and solved it recently. Its because you have the unupdated version set to "open on startup" change it so it no longer does this and make the new version you download do it instead. This way when you start the mac up it shouldn't say you need to update. You can even delete the old MSN messenger if you really want. Hope it works for you

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

aMSN (another MSN client) will notify you when you get an email. It supports webcam too, along with nudges etc... it's very slow and laaaaagyyyy though...