msn messenger on school network

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by skeley69, Jan 20, 2004.

1. skeley69 macrumors member

hey, does anybody know how to use the mac msn messenger on a school's network. ive tried using the http connections option but still doesnt want to allow to sign in. do i have to enable firewall or something? any help would be great!! Thanx

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

the easiest thing they could have done was disable writing new files to the ~:Library:preferences folder. But yeah, getting things to work that are blocked on a school network is usually a no-go.

3. hob macrumors 68020

hob

i've been doing stuff with school networks (being a student at one) for the last 7 years! I can only now get on msn messenger because i have the teacher-level internet ip address... there's a slower connection for students with everything blocked, and a faster one for teachers unblocked!!

The answer is - if ur admin's disabled the port, there ain't no way ur gettin in through!

(Incase you don't know, firewalls prevent access through certain ports. MSN messenger is probably disabled through that!)

Hope that's a decent explaination even though it's no help!!

Hob

4. cwalton macrumors member

Hi Hob,

Do you know which port MSN Messenger runs on Mac?

C.

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

It uses TCP ports 80, 443, 1863.

cwalton,

I also left the same post on your thread.

6. cwalton macrumors member

1863 it is. Job done :)

Thanks for your help Tomf.

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87