MSN MESSENGER problem help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by imac abuser, Sep 5, 2004.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I have downloaded MSN Messenger for mac, and it annoys me that it keeps that little drive on the desktop. If I move that to the trash it takes out the program. If I move it to applications it just creates a short cut any ideas on how I can download and keep it in applications?

thanks
    chris

2. Gee macrumors 65816

If it's an installer program, double click it to install MSN. If it's the actual messenger program within the drive icon, you should be able to just drag it and drop it pretty much anywhere - desktop or applications folder - it should move the whole program, not make a shortcut (only makes a shortcut if you drag it to the dock). You can then just put the drive icon in the trash to eject it.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

As the previous poster said you have to drag it off of the "disk image" to your applications folder. This is something that is important to know because many applications are installed this way.

4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

sending files

Just got msn 2 weeks ago and had the same problem - but then i figured it out... :D

It's a pretty nice program i think...BUT - I've tried several times to send files with it and it never works !?!

If anybody can tell me why i'd be happy....

-Adam

5. Gee macrumors 65816

6. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

File transfers hardly ever work if the person receiveing the file uses a NAT router, is on a network or has a firewall running.
    To make it work they would need to forward some ports to their system, as would you to receive files.

Bye

7. Gee macrumors 65816

Seems to work fine with the same people using iChat or yahoo though ;-)

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

ive never had a problem transfering files... although you cant transfer files with mess if your behind a firewall or even if they are in some cases...

9. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

MSN can't but iChat can get past routers fine, the app must use a proxy somewhere to traverse a routers ip addressing rules, same applys to the voice/video part of ichat. for example i have to use a proxy server to make my IP phones work as they are all behind a router which blocks incomming requests.

Bye

10. ArianaM. macrumors newbie

Help!!!!!!!

Since last monday(9/5/05) my msn messenger wont let me sign in. I cheked if it was my account...by logging in another comp. and it works perfectly....
    I keep trying to sign in and it tells me that my sign in name or password is incorrect or does not exist.... I unistalled it an re installed and no answers..
    So if anyone has an idea please...let me know..
    :confused:

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I downloaded it.
    Installed it.
    Opened it (for a few minutes)...

and quickly went back to Adium!