Msn messenger problems plz help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Diatribe, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I need to use msn and I just tried for the first time, even though I hate using 2 clients :D , and it won't let me sign in. The error message I get is that the service isn't available or there is no internet connection. Both is invalid, since first, I am online with safari and iChat and second, I can sign in with my .net passport without any problems and the service status page says that it is fully functional.
    Just to further clarify, I am on DSL on an Airport on 10.3.2. I have NO clue whatsoever why it won't sign in. Does anyone know why that could be?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If I get you correctly, you are trying to sign-in to MSN using Safari, iChat, and MSN Messenger simultaneously. Is that what you are trying to do? Well, no wonder. Logout of those other services and try logging on using only MSN Messenger.

3. iEric macrumors 6502a

No no no, i had the same problem when I was on the Airport. Just try and sign in again. Its wierd but sometimes the signals or something makes it take so long to log in and sometimes it takes so log, that it just gives up and thinks ur not connect to the internet.
    Once I switched back to the wired connection, it was okay. Hopes this helps.

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Ooops just saw that I posted in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it.
    Anyhow, this would mean that I cannot use msn when using airport? I gotta try how it works with a wired connection, but this would definitely suck. I have to use it, since some people I need to talk to, only have msn.
    Does anyone know if fire or else have the same issues.

5. iEric macrumors 6502a

no no no. you can use it with airport. but it may take several tries before you log in. how far are you from the base station?

6. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

About 5 inches :D . That should suffice, right? :D
    No, jokes aside. How often do you have to try and connect? I tried 10 times in a row. Still have to try with a cable... I just gotta finish work first. I might try fire if this keeps on happening. Thanks for the help.

7. niallerc macrumors member

Speaking of MSN messenger, both my G5s using panther 10.3.3 launch Adobe InDesign CS when I try to modify anything in MSNm, so when I click the window to check my hotmail, up pops InDesign, same for when I try to configure the pager, it's the msnmgrtempxxxxxxx.html files that seem to launch into Indesign, any ideas solutions would be appreciated.

BTW diatribe, I use AE in the G5 to link to my d-link router and MSNm works perfectly and I can be logged into xbox live web pages, hotmail, xsn all with my .net passport and still logged into msnM. Do you have any proxy settings configured in the preferences?

2nd edit on this: check your firewall isn't blocking the ports.

8. Maritan macrumors regular

Hey Diatribe - which version of MSN Messenger are you using?

If it's not 3.5 or whatever the latest is on M$'s site, you might face problems.

9. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    also

theres been some security probs at MSN and probs with their own software/hardware- imagine that! anyway, its from the security stuff and its locked out millions of ppl (about 50% at any given time) and you just have to keep trying. its affecting everything (hotmail, msn messenger, homepage, etc.)

10. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for the tips guys. After downloading the newest one it worked flawlessly. The only problem I have now is that it doesn't support https proxies, but I haven't found any MSN Chat program that does. I'll just ask the guys who have already seen 4.0.
    So at least it works, although I don't know if it looks that much better than Adium 2.0. Oh well at least it works. Thanks again.

11. anasat01 macrumors newbie

sign in probs

hi,
    i have the same problem with msn saying im not connected to the net or its not available, problem is, i am on a network with a firewall and proxy server. the thing is, its working for pcs on the same servers...so im a bit confused...any clue as to why mine isnt working??

and i have downloaded the latest version im pretty sure

12. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Did you check your proxy settings?