MSN messenger upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamesmcd, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    They updated MSN Messenger to 5.1

Don't think it is a UB though
  2. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    yeah i downloaded this yesterday, still a long way from msn on windows:mad:
  3. tidymeup macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2006
    Macclesfield, Cheshire
    Does anyone know what changes have been made ?
  4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Jan 30, 2006
    no changes i can see, not UB, not even a face lift.

Why did this come out?
  5. i.Feature macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    It looks to me like the changes are for corporate accounts and inter office stuff. Other than that its not much of an upgrade for most of us. I was kinda hoping for video. Guess thats a pipe dream.
  6. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005
    The main difference is that now all chats are encrypted, much more secure.

nothing else much has changed. of interest, the hacks to remove the corporate tab and logo's etc still work.
  7. tomw macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2006
    Has anybody noticed when you go to Messenger - About Messenger... it still say just under the microsoft messenger badge "5.0.". But the bit just under that it say "Version 5.1.0", thats Microsoft for you :rolleyes:

Picture 1.png
  8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Far away from Earth.
    Atleast its not bloated with ads, and whats worse is Windows Live messenger a giant ad banner at the bottom and annoying text ads in conversation windows at the bottom which somehow I manage to always click :/
  9. JasonGough macrumors regular

Apr 25, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    why is there still no video chat in it?!?!?

What reason could they have for not putting that into the mac version? or is it just to piss us off?
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    They're not going to give Windows users another possibility to leave Windows. If they gave it a complete feature set, they might have a few more defectors to Mac OS X.

I'm just glad that it works but I generally don't use it. I've been using Mercury because of aliases and video capabilities. Still, it's easier to add someone in MSN, ummm, Microsoft Messenger because you can paste the e-mail address and Mercury won't allow that.
  11. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2003
    Nelson, Wales
    I think you're spot on. I've come across a few switchers (students) who've moved away from the mac platform, and its mainly because of the poor instant messeging clients on the mac. I'm pretty sure we'd see alot more switchers if msn messenger was on par, or even just one generation behind the windows version. I know alot of people on this forum don't like the silly emoticons, but personally I dont know many people who like being without them.

If there was good quality video chat built into msn for the mac I think it would be great, and would do alot for the mac platform. I know there are alternatives, but amsn and mercury are very slow and mercury in particular just boggs right down the longer you use it.

12. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    i used to think that i needed video chat features, but really, its only seeing someone else looking at a screen looking at you. it may be important to some for various reasons, but really, i feel better with just typing....a picture always helps things sometimes, so what i usually do is plug in my webcam when the need arises, snap a pic, and then send it, (e.g. my setup, or a model or something.) i oftten feel that that is a better way to communicate. a videochat is for making silly faces IMO:D you dont do much talking, except to say: can you see me? i cant see you! can you see me yet? that's why i use adium. clean, simple and one of the most customisable programs out there. more support for smileys though please!

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I hate the substitution of graphics for letters in Messenger but I deal with it. A lot of friends in Malaysia and Singapore do it and their English is so bad that it takes me minutes to understand.

On the other hand, Mercury is perfect for me because it allows me to type Japanese, Chinese, or Korean without a problem. aMSN doesn't allow that.

I'm all for changing people over to Skype, especially since it will have video.
  14. StokeLee macrumors 6502

May 30, 2005
    Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
    Im dissapointed too with the recent msn messenger update. I've used Adium, and aMsn too. Ive kept aMsn, for its video, and got rid of Adium.

I must admit, that ive never used iChat, i think it looks great, but ive no friends on either a mac, or aol, so ive no use for it. Maybe Apple should consider making it compatible with msn messenger ( i know there could be legal issues here) but then my friends who use msn would have one less reason no to purchase a mac as their next computer, and I would have a IM program thats looked after, and updated regularly.
  15. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    If your finding aMSN slow, have you guys tried updating to the latest CVS?
  16. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Dec 23, 2005
    London, England.
    I just want MSN Messenger 7.0 for Mac - How hard can it be for Microsoft to do this for MAC.
  17. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Once again, I can sum up this Messenger update with three little letters:

s. f. a.
  18. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I downloaded it today and i think its looks better but like some said i am disappointed that there is no video support.
  19. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    easily. however, silent seige is what microsoft is doing.

what does SFA stand for? saturated fatty acids?
  20. MacTT macrumors member

Jan 16, 2006
    What is Microsoft's plan? Deprive Mac users from having common features 95% of the world have? How hard is it to put video support? MAN! :mad:
  21. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Have you seen MSN Messenger 7? It's just about the most horrible version ever. Personally I'm glad for the Mac version. It just does chat with avatars. brilliant. that's all I want. I'm just damn annoyed that MS force you to use Messenger 7. Whats next? "click this advert to start an conversation!"

I never thought I'd like iChat. But I bloody love it right now.
    if you REALLY need Video chat use that. Doesn't Skype support video too?
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Sweet eFfin All :cool:
  23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I was just thinking that they might be using DirectVideo to implement it and I'm thinking that it requires Direct3D, which is part of DirectX. If they started making that available, they'd really lose an advantage.
  24. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    You think Messenger 7 is bad? I had a look at the 8 beta and it feels 10 times worse. 7 isn't too bad once you've removed all of the cruft using MessPatch.

The Windows version supports video. The Mac and Linux versions are lagging a little bit here. They also need to bring out UB versions!
  25. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    someone needs to make an ichat hack to integrate msn with all the extras, jabber is too basic, i atleast need avatar support.