msn messenger..when is live coming to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calt, Aug 1, 2006.

1. calt macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2006
    Given MSN LIVE has just landed for the PC, will we ever see a mac version?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2006
    was anyone just updated a few weeks ago??

i had MSN on a backup HD, and when i upgraded to tiger and poped on msn (ofter a few days) it told me an upgrade was required (for MSN, it may just have been becasue i upgraded he OS though. but i would like to see live too. i have a firend that uses live and he tried the live file sharing thing, but i couldnt use it.

oh well! lol
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Oh boy, not likely. We had to wait a year between Messenger 4 and Messenger 5 and when it landed all we got was:

- Brushed metal interface (Tiger was already here and the brushed metal interface is close to death but MS thought it was a big thing)

- User pics.
    - Animated emoticons
    - Ability to receive but not send custom emoticons
    - Some big corporate update for their new Live Server or whatever it's called.

That's it.
  4. sulhaq macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2006
    Probably never. This is the exact same question people asked when Windows Media Player 10 was released, and after a few Microsoft completely dropped support for it. I know that's not good reasoning but the point is why would MS want to make better software for Mac? Aren't they supposed to be competing? Crude as that may be it does play a role in software development, I mean, we had messenger 4 and after a year we got messenger 5 with the brand new feature to now use display pictures!!!! Whoop de damn doo, while windows is seeing marvelous messenger updates. It's clear from this that MS is not the least bit interested in improving its messenger for mac. And even if they did, they have their hands full right now with Vista and Office 2007.

Take my advice, forget about msn, get aMSN or Mercury Messenger. Both are excellent clients and for the most part as good as msn. I mean they may not look as nice as msn but they can do voice and video conferencing, emoticon support, nudge support, custom emoticons, work fine with iSight. And the developers of these freewares are updating and making these better by the day, unlike MSN.
  5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005

And no. I'm not trying to be funny.

Its taken them like 3 years to give us display pictures - factor in webcam support, 'now listening', custom status messages, a whole new UI, Yahoo! support.. well.. not anytime soon.

When we go from 10.X to 11.0 - welcome Live Messenger for Mac.
  6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Who the hell cares anyway..theres adium, aMSN and MM for your MSN type fix.

7. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    it will never come and trust me it'll never...
  8. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2006
    Mercury is the only real option (well, Adium is nice, it just doesn't offer anything beyond the official client).
  9. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
  10. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    Yeah, the Mac version is right here.
  11. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004