MSN Messenger...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scairns, Jan 31, 2005.

1. scairns macrumors newbie

Does anyone know why MSN Messenger for Mac is always far behind the windows version, missing many of the good features...?

Will there be a new mac version coming anytime soon??

Thanks, SC

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

msn for mac can be BETTER than windows msn...go to www.versiontracker.com and search for Adium.

No need to thank me :D

3. mcarvin macrumors regular

Adium rocks hard, definitely. Mercury Messenger is starting to introduce video chats on MSN for Mac though. Even the Adium guys say that gaim-vv may not be ready for another year.

4. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

It would be cool to see video/audio chat on Adium, although I doubt that this will happen soon.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yeh go with adium. it is so much better than msn. msn keeps disconnecting me and just being annoying.
    with adium no disconnections, only one window (which is so much nicer than chat windows all over the place, especially on a 12" screen!) but i could see why people want vid chats but as i dont use it it doent bother me!

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

MSN Messenger 5 is meant to be coming out in a couple of months, basically with a brushed metal interface, support for Live Communications
    Server and tabbed buddy list - be still my beating heart... :rolleyes:

Good news is, despite previous reports, it looks like webcam functionality is indeed possible for the Mac version and the MBU (Mac Business Unit) is looking to implement it into future versions. Bad news is that there was mention about it being released the same time as Longhorn... :eek: :p

Basically, check out Adium!

(Here's a webpage that seems to actually care about the latest developments for Messenger, has all the latest info.)