msn messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rcummins82, Mar 10, 2005.

1. rcummins82 macrumors newbie

I am trying to help a friend over the phone with thier msn messenger they are trying to install on their computer. It is version msn messenger 4.0.1, and when they install it, and try to run it, it comes up saying, 'mounting the disk to image.' A few seconds later it comes up saying 'the mount did not complete (50). This is all I know about the problem, and as i search around the internet, i can't find a solution. A long time ago, they say they had msn messenger on their computer, and it worked fine, any suggestions?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The IMAGE needs to be downloaded again. It appears as though it is corrupted. Got to http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ and download another copy.

TEG

3. rcummins82 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried

I have had them re download it and reinstall, but it did the same thing. I am going to have them try from that link you provided, but I fear that it won't work. Thanks you.

4. rcummins82 thread starter macrumors newbie

still having problems

now the error they are getting is: 'the file messenger401.dmg2 doesn't have a recognized file type.'

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

The reason that message is coming up is that because the file ends in ".dmg2" finder thinks the files actual extension is .dmg2 when really it is .dmg with a 2 on the end. Probably because that is the second time they have downloaded this file.

Maybe it would help us if you posted the OS they are running (10.2.? or 10.3.?) also the type of computer it is could help too.

Also just be sure they are installing it right. When they download it have them open the .dmg file then drag MSN Messenger to their applications folder and run it from there.

6. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

If you keep having problems, you might try Adium instead. It's a lot prettier, doesn't suck so much memory, and I've never had problems with it. Adium is definitely my favorite piece of software.