Msn Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by THE DUPPY, Jul 8, 2006.

1. THE DUPPY macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2006
    So i have no idea wether or not i can view someones webcam on my msn, when someone tries to send me the webcam accept thing, it doesnt even appear in the conversation box ?

i was wondering if someone could give me some advice on mac/windows msn messenger webcam viewing ?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    The Mac version of MSN Messenger doesn't currently support video conferencing. There is another client named aMSN that supports the video, but currently doesn't handle the sound.

Basically, unless your friends are willing to use AIM rather than MSN, there's no way of doing this easily. If they will use AIM, you can use iChat to video conference. We're all hoping that Microsoft either allows Apple to make iChat MSN compatible or releases an MSN client for Mac that has the feature, but knowing Microsoft and their attitude to non-Windows users, don't go holding your breath.
  3. 50548 Guest

Apr 17, 2005
    Currently in Switzerland
    Forget about MSN from Microsoft, it's barely updated by them on the Mac...Adium is not yet there for video chat, too...for webcam access, you could try the following:

aMSN (good webcam support, I think, and the best option for now)

MercuryMessenger (complicated interface but usable anyway)

Don't forget that there is also a buggy beta of Skype Video for's gonna be officially out soon, I presume..!
  4. THE DUPPY thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2006
    thanks for ur info

much appreciated

my second question about msn is

have i got the latest version installed, when i see the sign in screen, it says i have mac:messenger version 5.0

however i am sure there is a newer version i have dwnloaded and installed which was mac:messenger 5.1.1

5. THE DUPPY thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2006
    thanks again for the advice but please could someone tell me what a "buggy beta" is btw i am already familiar with skype, will the video calling option be free?
  6. smwatson macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    London, England
    Try the new Yahoo! Messenger which will (apparently) feature MSN compatability with AV support very soon.
  7. eddx macrumors regular

May 12, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    aMSN is the best route to go for. Doesnt do audio + video but does audio OR video. Most of the time I only want to see the person not hear them so it works great for me. The last major thing I needed a windows box for (apart from gaming).

I use aMSN everyday, it is a little different to msn messenger on windows but works just as well as far as I'm concerned.
  8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    aMSN or Mercury doesn't work for me...:(
    i dunno but to get it work and all smooth is really a pain...i can't run iTunes, Safari and aMSN/Mercury all at once...the com becomes laggy...i wouldn't recomend it to anyone...

On the other hand, Yahoo Messenger is the solution for webcams...It works perfectly...about the version, hey wait, do u mean Mac Messenger or Microsoft Messenger:mac?
  9. 50548 Guest

Apr 17, 2005
    Currently in Switzerland
    Buggy beta means:

1) it's not yet officially available;

2) it crashes a lot, for many people (I got it and it didn't even run on my iMac);

3) it's gonna be out soon anyway, so you'd better wait a little more.

And yes, obviously video calling will be free.
  10. lynies macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2008
    anyone knows how to delete email address at sign in? i know messenger on windows has the "forget me" function. but mac messenger doesn't have?