Msn Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakester529, Sep 24, 2006.

1. jakester529 macrumors newbie

Hi! I just bought a macbook and I'm confused on the MSN Messenger installation. when I click on the downloaded new version, it would say, "choose application" or like the "open with" on windows. Well, if I click it, don't know which application to choose. Please help me out . Thanks.

--Jake

2. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

What version did you download? If you downloaded LIVE MESSENGER...thats windows only (check the download it will be a .exe) you need to download msn messenger for mac (which sucks) you best bet would be to use aMSN or Adium. A quick google should sort you out.

Edit - Thought I'd just bung the links in for the hell of it

Adium - http://www.adiumx.com/ - Its what I use. Doesnt have webcam support though if thats required bby you.
    aMSN - http://amsn.sourceforge.net/ - DOES have web cam support, but I personally don't think it's as good as Adium.

3. jakester529 thread starter macrumors newbie

MSN Messenger

Hello Simon! I downloaded the messenger for MAC but i wonder why i couldnt open it! Anyway, thanks for the links. I appreciate it.

4. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

hmm thats odd. The only reason I can think it doesnt work is maybe the download got interupted? Just a guess though.

Anyhoo, I'd recommend trying Adium or aMSN. They have LOADS more features than the MS version.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There is no MSN Messenger for Mac, nor Windows. It's "Microsoft Messenger for Mac" and "Windows Live Messenger."

When you download the file it should be a .dmg file that extracts and mounts a disk image on your desktop. Drag the application icon from within this disk image to your Applications folder - you'll see it install, then your can eject the disk image and save the .dmg file somewhere in case you need to reinstall the program.

6. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

thats a fair point but MSN is very much a generic term now. You don't search- you google. You dont vacuum- you hoover lol

All my mates use "MSN" so I think quite a few people now just take that to mean Microsoft Messenger & Live Messenger. I'm not saying it's right though , mind you.

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Here is a link to Microsoft Messenger for Mac 5.1.1 just to make sure you do in fact have the correct version.

8. Moria macrumors regular

Use either Adium or aMSN. aMSN is a very good client with webcam support, the only one that supports webcam both ways on a Mac?