MSN never works

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wiiiiilllll, Nov 15, 2005.

1. wiiiiilllll macrumors newbie

I cant sign on to Microsoft messenger on my mac.... does anyone have the same problem or know of any alternative programs i could use?

tia

2. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i dunno mine works...probally u have some firewall blocking it?
    er..others?

http://www.pure-mac.com/irct.html

3. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

You can always use Adium or Mercury Messenger.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Tell us exactly what happens. Does it crash? Does it give you an error? When does it give you an error? What is the error? Answer the dumb questions...like, you type "@hotmail.com" or whatever after your MSN name, right?

You should *not* need firewall ports to be open to get MSN Messenger to work -- it should be able to default back to port 80. Buuuuuut. If it is a transport issue for some reason, switching to Adium won't do anything for you?

5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

probally he/she's on an office network and MSN blocked?

6. wiiiiilllll thread starter macrumors newbie

i use adium but i dont like it

the error message i get is

"this service is temporarily unavailable............"

it works fine here for all the people with crappy windows

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What kind of setting is this? Corporate? Private? A coffee shop? Are the Windows PCs managed or do they belong to different individual users?

It would help if you could try to provide coherent answers...or else of course exercise your alternate option to go buy a "crappy windows" computer.

Open MSN Messenger on your Mac, and go to Preferences -> Accounts -> Network settings and note the settings. Then go check these same settings on MSN on a Windows computer on which it works. In particular, see if they are directing messenging traffic through a proxy server. And make sure that ports 6901 and 6891-6900 are open in your firewall(s).

8. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

You can always download different skins for adium to change the look

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I find Adium a very good alternative to MSN Messenger. In fact, I believe it is a lot better. I use it and I have never been disappointed.

10. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Can I clairify your initial question a bit.. Are you unable to connect to MSN using Adium? Or Microsoft's MSN client?

11. wiiiiilllll thread starter macrumors newbie

it works fine through adium but not through microsoft messenger

12. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

glad to hear it works for u now...

13. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Hi all,

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd chime in here. I have MSN v5 (the latest) and while I never have a problem connecting, many a time MSN will just sign itself out saying that there is a problem with my Internet connection (when there isn't one). I can just hit "OK" and sign back in, but it's such an annoyance; heck, sometimes I'll be having an indepth conversation with someone then MSN will sign me out, and the last like six messages that I sent will be undelivered.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Would you suggest switching over to Adium? Thanks!

14. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

at my university here in scotland MSN doesn't work at all through the student network on my mac, due to the VPN blocking all the ports and the firewall blocking everything else.

luckily, i can get on to the staff network, which has no restrictions at all :)

pure gigabit link to the interweb. :D

15. eeyoredragon macrumors member

eeyoredragon

Yes and yes.

The m$ client always screwed up for me. I haven't had any problems with Adium, and I don't see how anyone would prefer the m$ client (be it on osx or windows for that matter). It's got alot more features, though it is missing voice and video chat I do believe. I haven't tried to do one of those.

However, file transfers work fine, it's tabbed, very customizable in appearance and sound, and works with growl (which is cool).

16. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

a simple reason is that it can run multi IM's in a go...you can run pretty much most of the IM services available out there in one go with Adium...besides i don't really get disconnected whatsoever with Adium...i mean compared to the Microsoft Messenger which is disconnected almost alwiz, Adium is prefect....the layout can be changed to anything you like, almost anything i would say...

17. eeyoredragon macrumors member

eeyoredragon

there's actually a little kit to make adium look more like msn messenger if that's your cup of tea.

personally i think there are a ton of way cooler looking themes and sounds.

18. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

19. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

I second those who suggest Adium. The ability to customize alone is worth the switch.

20. TheMazter macrumors newbie

Help can't log on

hey i have msn mesenger and it works fine... but when im at school it won't log on.. its besause the port msn uses is blocked but... the windows users can log on fine... some guy told me that it was besause msn uses port 80 if it can't log on at the organial port... but it doesnt seam to do so on mac any ideas og what to do...

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use Adium normally, and Mercury messenger for video...

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this setting is in the preferences somewhere. I know it is in all the "alternatives" -- Adium, aMSN, so on.

23. TheMazter macrumors newbie

yea and no... when i use adium or aMSN and set it to use port 80 it logs on for a brife time and then logs off automatic... alle min windows using ferinds can with out problems use msn at the school... its only on mac it wont.:(