MSN problem, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacNeXT, Mar 23, 2005.

1. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    I'm on the network of a university campus and the network administrators did something that makes MSN Messenger fail (service not available or not connected). Every port except for port 80 seems to be closed. The weird thing is, under Windows, MSN Messenger works. On two Macs (one of which is mine), it doesn't.

What could be the problem? I thought that there may be some kind of proxy that is automatically detected under Windows and not under Mac OS X, but I can't seem to find evidence of that on other Windows computers. If anyone has an idea, please let me know, cause webmessenger is a pain to work with.

BTW: Using the latest version (4.0.1). Other clients like aMSN and FIRE don't work either. Also disabling the firewall doesn't work.
  2. ijustin macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2005
    we had a similar problem at our uni.. use instead :D
  3. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    webmessenger is blocked at my college :( allot of things are, it's connected to a government intranet that blocks allot of things.
  4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    I had the same problem at my uni... but it disappeared when I updated msn. I posted about it here at macrumors but nobody seemed to be able to help :(
    How about trying something like adium !?

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    Theres also emessenger, i catch a lot of students here on that :) it looks quite good though you can use msn, yahoo, and aol i think.

but make sure you're allowed to use it - or you could get disiplined by your IT Tech Support people! Chances are your not supposed to if its been blocked.