MSN vs Spotlight

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Abstract, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    What is this guy going on about, and why are we listening to Paul Thurrott?

Well if MS actually had the idea soooo long ago, then why was their search feature going to be excluded from Longhorn? Or maybe it still is. Who knows. All I know is that Apple has it sorted, and so does Google, although it isn't as good (supposedly, but I'll admit that I have never tried PC).
  2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Paul Thurrott is a Windows zealot... don't listen to him. I read his stuff every once in awhile for entertainment.

Here is his review
  3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    and the people here are not anti mircrosoft Apple zealots...... but it does have a point. Microsoft stated before Apple or anyone one else did that they where working on something like this so it not microsoft coping this time....
  4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    It is an endless cycle that cannot be prevented. Apple will innovate and Microsoft will steal.
  5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

I find it strange how people scream everytime microsoft even remotley looks like they copied or stole something yet no one seems to care when apple blantely steals something (dashboard any one)
  6. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Please lets not start this argument again! And just for the record the argument that Apple stole the concept for Dashboard is an extremely shaky one. Not to say that Apple doesn't steal ideas, Fast User Switching (but at least they acknowledge it!), but Microsoft has a long of history of 'borrowing' ideas. Heck, the whole company is pretty much built from the success of copying and pasting a certain somebody else's OS - that tends to make a few people bitter! ;) :p
  7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Look, the fact of the matter is, the minute companies hear about one of their competitors coming up with a good idea, they immediately set about trying to counter it. Happens all the time, in everything from cars to razor blades.

Now, Apple comes up with enough of its own original ideas. Microsoft, OTOH, is famous for simply taking other people's ideas and technology and implementing them badly. So if Apple "steals" an occasional idea, people are willing to give Apple a pass, whereas they won't do the same for MS.

Besides, what also counts is what companies do with the idea. So Microsoft came up with it first. Is Apple supposed to apologize for getting it finished first and implementing it better, while bumbling Microsoft is still struggling along? Please.
  8. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    it boils down to who does it first, not who thought of it first.

and of course, who does it best.
  9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

well by the logic then apple copied MS in the OS market because the first MS windows was released to the public before the first Mac OS was. firgure I would point that out. mind you it was really a pretty poor and not really ready. it was rush to market to beat Apple but it did beat apple to market
  10. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Let's put it this way. MS has been promising this search stuff for a decade now with absolutely zero results. Isn't funny that after apple decided that a metadata and file based search was "good enough" than the full fledged "new file system," MS backtracked and one week after apple demonstrated spolight Gates said that a pared down search capability would be added to XP and Longhorn ahead of the WinFS which has now been delayed into 2008...

So while Apple could be seen as copying MS, MS had a looooooooong time to do its stuff, and apple showed them how to do it quickly, which they capitalized on, of course. So I'd say, whatever.

In this case, they are technically equal, but apple gets points for being first, and getting it right...
  11. mattroberts macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2003
    ummmm..... not to sound dense or anything but

Sherlock in OS 8.*

I seem to remember having much of the functionality i'm promised in spotlight/msn/google WAY back then. though it wasn't all that great.

One search engine to search them all kind of thing. Now the technology behind it all is probably(definitely) changed but the original idea hasn't all that much.

just my 2 cents