Msn with Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scan, Nov 8, 2005.

1. scan macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2005
    hi, I'm new to mac. I just recently got a 12" PB. I downloaded MSN is how come its so much different?!?! I can't do winks, make contact groups, and i'm missing a whole lot of features. Am I missing something?

Also I would like to ask just in general why are the USB ports on the left? whats the point of my Mighty Mouse since I'm right handed and most are (i think). anyone else annoyed with this?
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    msn is from microsoft so they will not allow mac user to have all the msn messenger stuff. tough luck man....adium is much better, u can connect to most of the messenger sevice through it.

they dont want to give out all the butter of messenger to apple users....if u want the full thing swing over to windows.....well i think thats what they say

3. scan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2005
    i came from windows--well i still have my windows desktop.
  4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Have you found that the cord length is just perfect, to move and not have a longer cord mess :cool:
  5. scan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2005

yeah but its still in the way since i have to drag it across the keybaord or loop it aroudn the back
  6. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Want something with all the features of the pc msn?
    Download Mercury messenger for mac. :)
    I have used msn 4, msn 5, adium, proteus, fire and mercury. Mercury is by far the best, although it is java based which means it can be a little slow to start if you have heaps of other apps running.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Maybe I don't understand what contact groups are but I have 5 groups.

Under the Contact menu, use Add a Group. Other things aren't there because MS apparently doesn't want to give Windows users another reason to switch to a Mac.
  8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    well...i dunno as far as i know, Adium is kinda the best in a way minus the webcam features...Mercury is awfully SLOW...and its UGLY...the only good side of it is the webcam feature but it still has a slow frame rate...
  9. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Us Mac MSN users aren't very well looked after :(
    We've only just got user image support!
  10. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    I'm hoping Skype will do a better job at supporting Mac users. I've been using Skype more than MSN lately.

It's great for chat and audio with PC user buddies, file xfer's and all encrypted.

Just need the Mac version to have the API and some kind soul to write the webcam app for that API.

IMO - Adium is a nicer looking client than Mercury, nicely integrating my Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM and MSN accounts. Albeit without webcam support (which they're also trying to get sorted)
  11. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    You should be able to do a wink. Just type ; ) with no space and it'll convert it to a wink.
  12. ILoveiBooks macrumors member

Aug 13, 2005
    Haha, apparently you've never used Messenger 7 for Windows. A wink is like a little animation (i.e. Kiss, Heart, guitar being smashed on the floor) that is sent to the other user. THey are quite entertaining but I personally find them annoying and am glad to be rid of them.
  13. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Most of those features are pretty superfluous to the core of what messenger is. Bloatware i think it's called. Anything beyond user pictures and a few smilies really grinds my gears. I use Adium, but not a lot. I also use a thing called a phone.
    Try converting all your friends onto Skype or summit.
  14. UnheardOf macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005

I agree. The only thing I really wish for from Mac MSN is voice/video capabilities.. All those 'winks' and the games, and stuff are just.. Unnecessary, from what is meant to be a chat program..
  15. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Nope! The latest Windows version was 4.7 (actually, the beta of 5.0 was available) when I switched to Mac.

And they call it a "wink"? This is a wink -> ;)
    No wonder I was confused!
  16. Applexilef macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2004
    No, that's an emoticon, hehe.