gets more anti-mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Freg3000, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York

MSNBC video now only for Windows IE
    December 21 - 22:56 EST The newly redesigned now has new anti-Mac requirements to view video on the popular news Web site. "To use MSNBC Video, your computer must have Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later on a Windows operating system," the site now says. "The Netscape internet browser is not sufficiently compatible with Windows Media Player 9 to play MSNBC Video content and no plug-in software is available. MSNBC video is unable to support the Macintosh or other operation systems."

Attached Files:

2. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    Yeah, no joke. I saw this, too.

That's the last time I ever go to this site.

But the funny thing is, it's all a big lie. The problem is in their code. they can't find a way to write thir code so that the video window pops up on a Mac. It givves you an error that says "This video is being blocked by pop-up blocking software". The problem is not in our implementation of WMP. It's in their terrible web development.

I know this because I've emailed the webmaster and gotten responses from them.
  3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    If webmasters would write their sites according to the W3C's specifications, there wouldn't BE any browser incompatibilities (let's not get into CSS2).

Furthermore, I don't see the benefit of using Windows Media over QuickTime. Windows Media = closed, proprietary, and platform-specific (a lot of the time). QuickTime = open, standards-based, and platform-independent.
  4. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    This is all I get on my Linux system. Clicking on their link does nothing.

The MSN Video player may be blocked by pop-up blocking software. Click here if it was blocked.
  5. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2002
    Re: gets more anti-mac

LOL. That's a good one. I've never been to that crapsite.
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Look at the web site... it starting to suck need i say more? i think ill delete it from my list
  7. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Try using the debug menu in safari to fool it into thinking that you are running windows.
  8. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    "In other news today, the Redmond software giant Microsoft acquired patents and copyrights on air. Sources close the company cite 'incompatibility' issues as the driving force in Microsoft's decision to make air propietary. Sources also detail a plan to introduce Air 1.1 in the new update of Windows XP. The former patent and copyright holder of air, God, was unavailable for comment. However, Air 1.1 will likely utilize a proprietary file format, *.air, for all future downloads."

It's just a matter of time...
  9. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    air... haha, who needs it anyway?

I use iOxygen
  10. chazmox macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    Just went to and tried to play a video of Saddam ( on their front page ) and was told the following...

"You do not have one of the following operating systems required for MSN Video:

Microsoft Windows® 98 Second Edition, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

To be directed to Microsoft's online store, click here."

MSNBC is such a biased news source!!! I HATE it when someone tries to force me to use Windows!!!!
  11. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well they cant help but be biased... MSNbc hahahah
  12. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    in that case you going to turn a nice shade of blue.

I know your joking but as a bit of trivia - pure oxygen is poisonous.

You cant use O2 you need O. Your body gets it off carbon atoms (a few other, but mainly carbon) in the air and then uses them for combustion inside your lungs creating CO2 - that what we breathe out.

The combustion is used for digestion mainly but also for exterion and generation of extra energy (such as running, extra energy = more combustion = heavier breathing)

Oh, and MS does have a patent on air - well they better with the amount their CEO needs after running on stage ………… :D :D :D
  13. chazmox macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    Uh... you need to check your physics and biology. While high partial pressures of oxygen are toxic - you can still breath it.

You don't get oxygen "off carbon atoms" you get it from O2 in the air. There is no combustion in the lungs - O2 is carried in the bloodstream by hemoglobin in red bloodcells. O2 is combined with blood sugar in cells in the body in their mitochondria where it used to add an extra phosphate bond to ADP making it ATP - the primary energy transport mechanism within cells.
  14. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    Tried that...

...and it just make the site worse. But, I'm really not suprised it is MSNBC afterall.
  15. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    I'm really curious about where you got this idea.

O2 is toxic at high partial pressures, but it is essential for all aerobic life (which includes us all the animals, and all the plants). Atomic oxygen (O) isn't generally available as it will spontaneously form molecular oxygen (O2) or ozone (O3) under ordinary conditions.

And, while it is true that we get energy from reduced carbon sources (such as fats, sugars and carbohydrates), the process is certainly not 'combustion' and it doesn't happen in your happens in the cytoplasm and mitochondria of every cell in your body (google for 'glycolysis' and 'oxidative phosphorylation' if you'd like to learn about the process.

I'm sure you have a sophisticated understanding of many complex phenomena, but clearly metabolism isn't one of them, so perhaps you might want to read about it a little before you post things like this in public forums.

16. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I really doubt this is a malicious attempt to conceal the news from Mac users. It seems a much more logical explanation that the coder realized it would take more work to code everything for mac browsers as well and figured it wasn't worth the effort. Either way, sucks, they exaggerate everything for sensationalistic purposes and distort the news to make it more exciting.
  17. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm running Mac OS 9 and I can't even view anymore. I use Mozilla and Netscape [the only browsers worth using in Mac OS 9, as far as I know] and the site doesn't load.
  18. bitfactory macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    msnbc is, without a doubt, the WORST coded site i've ever visited. half of the pages render 3-feet down the page, numerous features don't load, etc...

piss poor project management and standards-based development. then again, MS has never been known for their QUALITY.
  19. chazmox macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    Actually, Safari is more standards compliant than IE. The coders wouldn't have to work harder if they just followed standards. But if they make it IE centric, then there will be some non-standardized code.

But most of the stuff unsupported by other browsers is simple stuff like slide show - I would have to assume malicious intent here - the slide shows would be very easy to make compliant with all browsers.
  20. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't call it the worst coded site ever as long as you are using Internet Exploder it looks fine and acts fine. It does on my system at any rate but looks somewhat crappy on Mozilla FireBird and gets the same error mentioned above. Nope the coder/s were just being lazy. Bet cash it was designed in FrontPage and used all the gosh golly ge wiz features that only IE supports.
    Thanks guys.....NOT. :rolleyes:
  21. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL

My boxers are more WWWC standard compliant then anything MS puts out. It pisses me off to no end that the gullible morons in this world automatically accept piss poor implementation of standards all in the name of getting it for “free”. Microsoft should be held directly accountable for this crap.
  22. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    There is a way to get a DEBUG menu in Safari that allows you to make it look as if Safari is actually Win Explorer. The tip was in the new macworld but I can't post it right now because i'm at school....if anyone knows it throw it up.
  23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Here's one:
  24. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Its not just Mac

I run Mozilla Firebird on my PCs and often MSNBC pages dont resolve at all-- the home page works fine but the subsequent pages are blanks. MSNBC is probably the least standards-compliant site on the net.