MSNBC Question: Should illegal immigrants be arrested at today's demonstrations?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Airforce, May 1, 2006.

1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

question.msnbc.com

Immigration Protests: Should illegal immigrants be arrested at today's demonstrations?

70 yes 30 no so far

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

These poll questions are ****ing stupid sometimes.

"Should a lawbreaker be arrested?"

"Should child molesters be put on a space rocket and sent into the sun?"

Okay, there are hundreds of thousands of legal and illegal immigrants and native-born citizens at rallies across the US. WTF do they do, arrest everyone on the street, throw them into paddywagons, drive south and sort them out at the border?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's incredibly stupid. Millions of people should be arrested and what is going to happen to them? There aren't enough jails nor enough judges to process them. In the meantime, real crime is being ignored. A solution needs to be found airforce, but your xenophobic solutions will only create more problems.

4. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Hmm, you don't think illegally crossing the border is "real crime". Interesting....

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

But it sure it distracting everyone from the fact that there's no real leadership in the White House and half the GOP is under investigation/indictment for some scandal or another.

Look! Iran!

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Do you think violating the wiretapping laws is real crime? What about outing a known CIA NOC agent in petty revenge? Is that real crime? What about money laundering to funnel cash to political campaigns? What about undermining Supreme Court rulings? What about dereliction of duty in a time of national disaster?

And you haven't answered the question about what to do with everyone after they've been arrested. Or how immigration officials would pick them out of the crowd.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Stealing a candybar is also a "real" crime. I don't think there's any doubt that crimes, like lies cover a wide range of possibilities.

There are a whole bunch of laws on the books already and if this adminsitration were serious about illegals it would start enforcing them and beef up workplace enforcement. However, it is not interested in doing so.

It's an election ploy that has backfired on the republicans and until they get their doodoo together, it's going to continue to backfire.

What's your solution, other than "interesting....."

8. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Gather them up, ship them out to whatever country they came from. Gun mounts on high level border fencing :cool: ...but I can only wish for that to happen :p

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

of course they shouldn't be arrested. what i'm curious about is how the gov't/authorities generally go about finding/arresting illegals. do they get a clue that there are a bunch of em working at some place, go and arrest them? how do they know who all are the illegals, and who might be legal but brown skinned? do they ask for id's or what?

immigration issues simply can't be solved with some mass arrests.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's a system and a process for doing this. It's already past "overburdened". Is illegal immigration causing such a problem that we need to shift manpower and money away from important things like, say, hurricane preparedness/response?

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You really get off on the idea of people being killed, don't you?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The Govt should be arrested for ignoring this problem, for encouraging this illegal immigration, and for not enforcing our border nor for changing our obsolete immigration law. Govt is the problem because they stopped representing this country a long time ago. We should throw congress & the president in the slammer for dereliction of duty to this country.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds awesome.

I wonder why no one thought of that before?

[​IMG]

14. Queso macrumors G4

Mass illegal immigration is a by-product of television and air travel. People can now compare their life against that in other locations with their own eyes, and have access to the means to go where they want. There's no way to go back to how it was, because the technology is global.

As a result, "Send them back" will only work for a short time even if you divert massive resources to it. We need a better strategy to manage what's happening, because we can't stop it. It's time to accept this as a part of our future.

EDIT: Post changed thanks to zimv20's comment.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Why don't the US and Mexico work together and create some kind of free trade and labour agreement instead?

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

really? my great-grandparents sailed to the US from the UK, Germany and Brazil between 1875 and 1905.

17. Queso macrumors G4

I'm talking about the current situation with mass illegal immigration. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. Post now amended.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Doesn't pander to fear.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And they promptly took my Irish- and German-American great-great-grandparents' jobs. And they talked funny.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

farming in wisconsin and coal-mining in western PA.

never mind the talking, it's the cooking that always concerned me. still: "yins going outside now?"

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'll buy that technologies which make things more immediate do enable the desire and execution, but i don't think that's the main driving force. the US has that repuation of high(er) wages and employment, and for i-don't-know-how-many-hundreds-of-years, has been a draw for those looking for a new life.

the main difference between now and a hundred years ago is that the borders aren't as open. time was when you could just show up, be processed, and let in to live. the process has changed, but the desire has not.

after much research, i found the area where my great-grandmother had come from, when she emigrated from germany (near saarbrucken) to pittsburgh in 1904. her hometown is now in france and i visited it in 2000. it was a coal-mining town and the landscape reminded me a lot of western PA.

i reckoned that times were tough and word got out there were coal-mining jobs near pittsbrugh. why my ancestors moved to PA suddenly made sense. same thing w/ my UK ancestors, too -- they were mostly coal-miners (though i haven't made it up to Northumberland yet).

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My grandparents and great-grandparents arrived in this country a hundred years ago by the high-tech means of a steamer and a steerage class ticket. In order to enter the country, they were required to have at least $50 in their pockets, or if they didn't have $50, know someone in the country who could vouch for them, and not be infected with a serious communicable disease. This was the complete definition of a "legal immigrant" back then.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You know, I don't really give a damn if someone wants to come to America and live and be a citizen.

What bothers me is that we're not enforcing a policy to allow these people to do it legally. The last I saw on the news a couple of months ago, the Danes have a testing system which ensures that you at least understand enough of the language to get by, you know basic laws, and history of the country before they allow citezenship.

Why the **** can't we do that here? IF people want it that badly, put a GOOD system in place to let that happen. Right now some people have been trying for YEARS, even DECADES to become Citizens of the USA. Why is it taking that long? They're trying to work with the system with little to no success. Things must be changed.

With that said, it should be illegal for anyone to pay them LESS than minimum wage if they did become legal. Likewise any company who hires an illegal immigrant who has not applied for citizenship should be arrested and assets frozen.

This can all work if it's meant to establish order and not make a police state for or against immigration. There IS a middle ground, but Washington doesn't like it...or rather, acknowledge it.

24. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Not as interesting as your Javert complex. If a man stole a loaf of bread so that he wouldn't starve to death, would you call him a criminal?

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am more interested in the economic ramifications from these protests and the related boycotts/walkouts by immigrants (both illegal and legal).

I happen to like that many of these immigrants are putting a lot on the line (jobs, possibility of deportation, public scrutiny etc), just to make a point and stand up for a principle.

That's what I'd like to see from America, so I'd be happy to consider them all Americans.