MSNBC reports NK apparrently tested a Nuke

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Oct 8, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That is just fantastic. That guy is even more insane than Iran or America's president... This is going to mean trouble...

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, but... "no leakage", no seismic activity confirmed. Did they actually test anything?

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"A South Korean official said an explosion had been detected in the north-east of North Korea, measuring 3.5 on the Richter scale." North Korea In Nuclear Test Claim

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Do smart people know what 3.5 on the Richter Scale means? A big nuke? A little nuke? Your average, run of the mill nuke?

Don't entirely mean to be flippant, but am wondering how a test really changes anything. We knew the nukes were there before, and now we all really know they're there.

Will be interested to see how directly the White House responds and who precisely does the responding.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

North Korea considers the test a big success, after all, they didn't accidentally nuke themselves. :D :p

All jokes aside, it'll be years before North Korea is a real threat; I'm not worried yet.

...I say we nuke 'em before they can nuke us.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Looks like smart people would consider 3.5 "minor". Less smart and uninformed bystanders would probably rate it a ..."daaamn, what was that?" :)

Attached Files:

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

According to wikipedia, an explosion measuring 3.5 on the richter scale would be equivalent to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986 (Note: This is based purely on explosive strength and NOT nuclear output).

Also, a "Small atomic bomb" would measure about 4.0 and the Nagasaki atomic bomb measured 5.0.

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I believe a 3.5 on the Richter scale is pretty small.

In fact, to make sure I'm not full of sh*t, I just looked it up. According to Wikipedia, a one kiloton weapon is about the same as a 4 on the Richter scale.

That's pretty damn small. No wonder nobody detected it. More like a tactical nuke than anything else. But yeah, it's only going to get bigger with time... :(

EDIT: Dammit, EricNau beat me to it!

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Did you see the formula on that page?

I swear to god, Tom Hanks lives to make me feel inferior.

Will be putting "Where M sub O is the seismic moment" into a poem at some point, though.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's possible, assuming the 3.5 figure is correct, that the test was a "fizzle" where the yield is significantly below expectations. It's also possible that they simply used a very large conventional device to bluff the world.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Keep in mind, you were looking at Moment magnitude scale, not the Richter scale. :)

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The more troubling aspect to all of this is that we are being tested too.

The United States is now so overly committed in the Middle East that our only
    course of action is diplomacy or an air strike.

We don't have enough actual boots on the ground as the term goes to
    actually control any major situation.

The rest of the world is watching to see how we proceed from here.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

USGS says 4.2

I say Kim Jong Il just rounded up a few hundred thousand of his subjects, sent them down the mine and got them to jump at exactly the same time.

USGS Report.

16. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

according to CNN, the USGS recorded a 4.2 magnitude seismic event in North Korea, but as of right now (12:42am EDT) no one in the US gov't in willing to verify that an detonation has taken place.

personally, I'm not that worried about it, at least in terms of how it can threaten the US. China's not letting go of Kim Jong-il's leash anytime soon. And as long as the US is pouring money hand over fist into the Chinese economy, China will have no desire to sour relations with the West.

I do think it's a threat to Taiwan. The Chinese know we want them to put a stop to this kind of thing, and I'm willing to bet that they'll say "we'll keep this guy in check, but we want the ROC back..."

...maybe not in those exact words, but my feeling is that's how it'll play out.

just my opinion...

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

China is pouring money hand over fist into US treasuries so that we can afford to spend a trillion or so dollars fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's a mutual relationship, not nearly as one sided as you make it out to be. China faces a potentially greater threat from nukes in NK than the US does due to its proximity to the mad Elvis of NK.

I wouldn't be surprised if China used Taiwan as a bargaining tool with the US but China will defend itself above all.

18. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I didn't mean to imply (and don't think I did) that it is. We need their low-cost labor as much as they need the US contracts. Granted.

link? or were you speaking metaphorically? The reason I ask is because I feel rather dubious about the contention that China is a vested partner in the "war against terrorism," mostly because of this and also this

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can't tell you why, but China is pouring their money into the US (I believe mostly in the form of Bonds). ...That's right, the US is borrowing money from China. :eek:

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You did say that "China will have no desire to sour relations with the West"

I don't contend that China is a vested partner in the fight against terrorism. The only time they really get involved is when it threatens their well being. What they are doing by buying US treasuries, is financing our military engagements. Not that they want to but without that infusion of cash, the US would be in dire straits.

Once again, China faces a bigger threat through an errant nuke than the US does, they're not going to let little Kim get too far in his efforts to build nukes. It's not in their best interest.

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree but 1 thing is clear here how do you negotiate anything with a country that lies straight to your face, says they will do one thing then does another, N.K. has shown over and over that its words,its agreements,treatys,etc all mean nothing. I wonder if they are still printing U.S. currency? Not that we will do anything like this but the U.S. could destroy the entire country if it so wanted and not by conventional means. A all out nuclear assault could eliminate N.K. forever period.

China has done nothing to these guys, they are screwing up big time because they are the ones who dont want a nuclear Taiwan. Hey China since you dont seem interested in N.K. why dont we just send a few Nukes to Taiwan,Japan and South Korea just as a safety measure now:D

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I believe diplomacy is the answer.

We should reach an agreement with North Korea: for every nuclear weapon they test on their soil, we should be allowed to test a nuclear weapon on their soil. ;)

24. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

This Newsweek article (published online before the apparent test) casts things in an interesting light.

25. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan