MSNBC video on Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Nov 21, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I like to read the news on MSNBC.com, however when I try to run a video, I get a message that it isn't supported. Is it Safari, my ThinkPad (ti-book) or what?
    Thanks.
    Frank

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The ThinkPad is not a titanium PowerBook. The ThinkPad is an IBM laptop which most likely runs Microsoft Windows. As such, it does not run Safari. Now to the primary issue at hand. From what I can see, MSNBC is device-dependent, which is the exact opposite of the purpose of the Web. According to the site, MSN Video requires Internet Explorer 6.0. It is not amiable to pleas that you have a Windows Media Player 9, when only WMP 7 is required, or that you have Flash 7 installed. Basically, if you are not running a recent version of Microsoft Windows, MSNBC does not want you clogging up its bandwidth.

3. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Bloomberg Doesn't work in Safari either

Bloomberg TV (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/index.html) doesn't run in Safari, Firefox and IE on OSX at all either .... Must be a specific windows codec they use.

4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Try this...

Whether you have an IBM ThinkPad or an Apple iBook - check your lap tops logo and you'll soon know exactly what is is that you have - MSNBC videos are in the wmv format (Windows Media Player).

Download the latest versions here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

Windows version above and the Mac version below...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/macintosh/osx/default.aspx

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You missed my point. I have Windows Media Player 9 installed. I have Flash 7 installed. However, there is no Mac version of Internet Explorer 6, which is another explicit requirement. It is not that you cannot play the videos. The MSNBC website will not even let me try.

6. rccola70 macrumors regular

Sorry, but after a google search, I've come to the conclusion that MSNBC.com simply won't let OS X Users play videos. It says Operating System not supported when you try.

Alternatives are Reuters and AP videos found in Yahoo news..

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry. I've been trying to fix my wifes Thinkpad too long. I have a Powerbook (Ti-Book). Guess it is the fact that I don't have MSIE 6.0 for Windows. No big problem. ESPN Motion works so at least I can view all the fights!!!

thanks again.

Frank