Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peterj1967, Nov 2, 2003.

1. peterj1967 macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2002
    I have to move about 150 tables, from my MS SQL Server at work to my MySQL installation at home on my Mac and I am looking for help.

Anybody know of any utilities PC or Mac, which will convert the MS SQL tables into MySQL Tables? I can't connect the machines on a network, I have to move the files by CD and I am hoping not to have to create 150+ table in MySQl and then import.

Seems there should be an app commercial or otherwise that would do it, but I can't seem to find one.

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    I've been told there is no easy way to do this. I'll ask around to see if anyone knows an easy way we have a ms sql server guy at work.

My off the cuff answer would be to try the sql 'Dump' command in ms sql and dump it out to a sql file then try to restore it in mysql.
  3. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2002

I did a lot of web searching for it. If you find anything let me know.

As a temp fix, to do some of the work I need to do, I'll get the tables I really need as CSV and import them.

Hopefully some smart person in the open source community has a brilliant solution for Mac users.

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
  5. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2002
    I saw that utility, and when I first read it, I thought you had to have access to both db's at the same time.

I need to dump data into some format on a PC copy it to CD and import it into my Mac's MySql. Unless I haul my mac to my office.

I'll try it next time I am in my office.

6. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2002
    My Fix

So this is what I did....

Exported the 10 or so tables I absolutely needed from MS SQL as Excel tables. Two of them are 60,000 records plus, so Excel is a bit of dog.

Took em home to my mac, saved as CSV,

Downloaded TextWrangler, (I miss BBedit Lite) to clean up some formatting.

Created the Tables from the command line and set everything to VACHAR(40) to save time.

Modified the fields I needed to query and work with using PHPMyAdmin so they had the proper definitions.

Downloaded CocoMySQL development version which imports CSV. Now that I understand the CSV import in PHPMyADMIN I didn't need to CocoMySQL tool, but if you don't want to work with a web interface, CocoMySQL is pretty good, and it'd free also.

Been using PHPMyAdmin to learn and write needed SQL Queries.

Finding the Utilities, Installing the packages I needed and taking a complete crash course in SQL took a full day day, but I got the data in.

Spent today hacking away a SQL, have a lot more to learn so I can use all this efficiently, but it is a powerful set of tools and I wish I had spent the time doing this a year ago. Would have save me a lot of time. Now when I have the SQL queries written I can use them as templates for a lot of other projects around the same data set.

I am a little worried that I have opened some gaping security holes in my machine, but found an App called WebLock which configures Apache Security, so I am pretty sure I am only accessible from the local host. I need to review everything to make sure I don't make a mess of things with Root Access. I need to learn all the command line configs so I can lock things down. I'll just shut down the services when I am not running them for now.

Apple needs to make a Macintosh front End to MySQL and OpenOffice. The would kick MS off the Mac platform. I would certainly pay for both of them.
  7. daspeac macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2009
    the topic is too old, but I have decided to post here anyway. yes, the problem can be solved with the repair sql 2005 bkp file program, it repairs database files and converts them
  8. lostinspace2011 macrumors member

Apr 9, 2008
    Database migration tool

What you want is called SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio. This allows you to create an integration project where you can drag and drop various task, including Readers and Writers. Then you configure your source as M$SQL and your destination as MySQL (via ODBC) and you transfer. You can also export to CSV if you like or whatever medium MySQL can handle if you can't connect directly.

This tool is included with SQL Server Enterprise and Standard (I think).