Mt. Rainer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukemeiser, Jul 22, 2003.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Why doesn't Apple use Mt. Rainer (or technolodgy like it) in Panther? Mt. Rainer, for those who don't know, software that writes CD-RWs much like you would write a floppy disk. On the fly burning, instead of group and burn. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If you are right, that sounds like a very cool technology. Is it new? I don't think I have heard anything about it. Maybe if it is new, companies are waiting to work the bugs out of it before they put it to widespread use in their computers. ANyone have any information about this technology? I would like to learn more about it.

-Capt Underpants

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've always wondered why this is referred to as "Mt. Rainer"? Not that it's incorrect, just that I've always heard it referred to as DirectCD.

Basically, this is Roxio technology that's in their EZ CD creator package (kinda like Toast for PCs). It's been around for years now. From what I've read, Roxio tried for a few years to get it to work with Macs, but for whatever reason, they couldn't.

BTW, Roxio has just changed the name of DirectCD to Drag-to-Disc.

4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Well, it has been around for sometime and it was very sparsely used. I think Yamaha released a drive last year that had full support for it. You can't expect the software companies to jump on it when the drives don't even support it.

http://www.mt-rainier.org/

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

6. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

DVD RAM

Isn't that just like DVD Ram?

Does the super drive support DVD Ram?

I have a DVD Ram drive on my sawtooth 450. Really useful, I can even use it as a writable boot disk.