Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjerens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2002
Unfortunately, I do not yet own a Mac, but I plan to purchase a 15" aluminum PBG4 later this year. Therefore, every hardware purchasing decision I make now has to be more carefully thought out than if I were going to only worry about the nasty Windows world. Anyhow, I've always been bad about backing up my PC's -- mainly because I don't have any real backup medium besides a puny 650 MB CD-R or -RW. So, I've been thinking that I ought to maybe look into DVD burners. My main purpose for buying one would be for backup and as a replacement for the evil floppy drive. I've been reading up on this, and it seems that Mount Rainier is a standard that should allow such packet-writing on standard CD-RW's and DVD+RW's (but not DVD-RW's) given a) Hardware support b) Software support (either OS or third party). But finding a drive that claims to support this standard has been difficult for me. Although I am aware that OS X includes Mt. Rainier support, I am not aware of any Apple devices that even take advantage of this. The Superdrive can't possibly (except maybe in CD-RW mode) because it only supports DVD-RW, not +RW -- or is that why they included the Sony drive with supposed +RW support in the latest iMac? This all is very confusing, and I just want to buy a DVD writer that will replace floppies and allow me to easily back up my files. Could anyone help to clarify any of this? Does anyone know of any models I might want to try? I appreciate it!

-Cameron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.