MTR/Popcorn conversion problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rico Diablo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Rico Diablo macrumors newbie

I'm using Mac the Ripper to rip individual episodes of TV series (yes, I own the DVDs) and then Popcorn to convert them for travel viewing on my PowerBook.

The issue: I'll rip, say, six episodes and then drop the VOB file into Popcorn. Popcorn will convert five of them but one will show up as having no running time and will not convert.

I don't want to rip one long file with six (or more) episodes. Is there a reason why Popcorn won't recognize one out of six episodes? It's happened with two different TV series.

Thank you.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you're going to rip TV shows for traveling purposes, I'd suggest using a program like Handbrake instead of ripping full-quality with MTR.

Handbrake will rip and compress your video files into .mp4 or .avi that should play without issue in Quicktime. Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I think these would be far easier for traveling purposes and would certainly take up less space.

Handbrake can be found here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

3. Rico Diablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have Handbrake and it's fine, but since I usually just watch my shows once and then delete them from my PB I don't mind the larger file sizes of Popcorn. I prefer the higher quality image as well.

MTR rips each episode and they play back fine , but then once in a while one of these episodes shows up as having 00:00 running time when it gets dropped into Popcorn. Very odd.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Have you tried something like DVD2OneX?

That's the shrinking software I use, and find it to be easy to use and very fast.

http://www.dvd2one.com/

5. Rico Diablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried the trial version and DVD2One doesn't look like it can rip individual chapters/episodes of a DVD. Unless there's something I'm not seeing.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

DVD2OneX would be an alternative to Popcorn, not MTR.