Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's scored another exclusive for its Beats 1 radio station, with MTV today announcing plans to unveil its 2015 Video Music Award (VMA) nominees exclusively on Beats 1. MTV will reveal the list of nominees on Tuesday, July 21 at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time on the Beats 1 "Charts" show hosted by Brooke Reece and Travis Mills.

videomusicawards.jpg
Let the countdown begin!
The 2015 @MTV #VMA nominees will be announced exclusively on #Beats1.
Tuesday 7AM PT/10AM ET pic.twitter.com/EwcvIYe30E - Beats 1 (@Beats1) July 20, 2015
Since its June 30 launch, the Beats 1 radio station has seen several world first song releases and exclusive interviews, being the first platform to play Pharrell's Freedom and air an interview with Eminem before his Phenomenal music video debuted on Apple Music.

Apple is aiming to lure customers to Apple Music and its Beats 1 radio station by offering content that is unavailable on other music services. In addition to premiering world first songs on Beats 1, Apple Music is the only service that offers Dr. Dre's album The Chronic and Taylor Swift's 1989.

Article Link: MTV VMA Nominees to Be Unveiled Exclusively on Beats 1 Radio Station

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
In before "omg sucks so bad for consumers." Beats 1 is free to listen.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Even though I haven't listened to the Beats 1 radio too much, I think it's clear to say that Apple is really spending time and resources to get this right. In my eyes, it just doesn't feel like a side-product but more like a good basic product with a nice potential. Music suggestions have been really good for me based on my preferences and only some tweaks so can't complaint so far.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Beats 1 is free to listen.

But only if you have an Apple product or are willing to install iTunes on a Windows PC. I happen to know a lot of people who wouldn’t want to touch iTunes with a barge-pole. iTunes had gained such a bad reputation and it’s only more cluttered and bloated since Apple Music. A web stream on iCloud.com would be nice.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Does MTV still have much of an audience? It was synonymous with cutting edge music videos in the '80s and '90s. Then it became a parody of itself.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Does MTV still have much of an audience? It was synonymous with cutting edge music videos in the '80s and '90s. Then it became a parody of itself.

No, that's why I wondering why some think this is a big deal. MTV has little relevancy in the current music biz.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
In before "omg sucks so bad for consumers." Beats 1 is free to listen.

I really gave beats1 a go since launch , I really wanted to like it ,though I admit I am too old for it, and they do not play any classic rock. The teenagers must love it though. And it's only free if u have an apple device or a willing to use iTunes.

Reactions: tonyr6

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
I really gave beats1 a go since launch , I really wanted to like it ,though I admit I am too old for it, and they do not play any classic rock. The teenagers must love it though. And it's only free if u have an apple device or a willing to use iTunes.
I have actually heard some played as well as Hard rock and Classic soul. Usually from the New York show. He likes to play current hits then take you back to what inspired it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Serious question: Is MTV still relevant? I know they were cool when my parents were teens (I have young parents), and they were kinda cool when I was a kid/teen (I never really saw the appeal), but are they still considered cool all these years later? If so that's quite the feat!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Serious question: Is MTV still relevant? I know they were cool when my parents were teens (I have young parents), and they were kinda cool when I was a kid/teen (I never really saw the appeal), but are they still considered cool all these years later? If so that's quite the feat!
Apparently is still is. Just like Facebook or Google isn't for everyone, there are still plenty that make use of them all.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
You have the entire internet at your finger tips. MTV has long outlived it's relevancy. Same goes for radio and Beats 1.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

MTV stopped being relevant after they aired The Real World: San Francisco. After that, all they have done is contribute to the crazy getting crazier. So you could call that 1993. Everything before then was great, and I'd even go as far including the MTV: Unplugged series. After that, everything on MTV in the US has been absolute junk.

MTV Europe on the other hand, is a whole other beast.

BL.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
MTV still stand for Music Television? They still play Music Videos? MTV VMA they still got VJs hosting the award shows that no one knows anything about them or care to know like the good old MTV days (Remember TRL).

Sorry but MTV has become a irrelevant network for scripted reality shows and bunch of other random shows that no one cares to watch but somehow it gets ratings.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
MTV stopped being relevant after they aired The Real World: San Francisco. After that, all they have done is contribute to the crazy getting crazier. So you could call that 1993. Everything before then was great, and I'd even go as far including the MTV: Unplugged series. After that, everything on MTV in the US has been absolute junk.

MTV Europe on the other hand, is a whole other beast.

BL.

Because in Europe people still enjoy Music Videos and have variety of taste into music genres unlike in the U.S.. In the U.S. every network has to play reality shows that no one likes but somehow shows ratings. If it was 1993 upto 2004 all over again I would have multiple orgasms but I doubt it would ever happen.

Hey it least we got The X-Files coming and to get excited about.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
MTV is still around? I remember when they played music videos constantly. It was the days when cable channels were focused in specific niches, then they eventually transformed into each other in a bouillabaisse of sameness.

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
You know, MTV. M(Joisey Shore) Television.
Seriously, who is Joisey Shore? Does MTV play crap music and videos? I don't know. Long time ago back in the early 1980s I think I saw a commercial for MTV. Thought the service really sucked since they didn't play real music. Thought they died a long time ago.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Seriously, who is Joisey Shore? Does MTV play crap music and videos? I don't know. Long time ago back in the early 1980s I think I saw a commercial for MTV. Thought the service really sucked since they didn't play real music. Thought they died a long time ago.

"what is car and who is steering wheel? i saw a commercial for one and i think they're too fast and not as companionable as horses, what is car?"

u make-a no sense.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Because in Europe people still enjoy Music Videos and have variety of taste into music genres unlike in the U.S..

Three things helped to keep MTV Europe where it is at today.
  1. The 5 year gap. MTV started in 1981. MTV Europe didn't start until 1986, with a different first video than the US (IIRC, Dire Straits' Money For Nothing kicked off MTV Europe).
  2. MTV Europe, for the most, avoided most shows. The Real World really didn't pick up there, even with the season in London. You didn't get much of Beavis and Butthead.
  3. MTV Europe didn't pigeonhole itself. Outside of those reality shows, MTV kept its selections down to two genres: grunge and rap. No pop (true, not bubblegum) videos. No rock blocks. No Headbanger's Ball. No Classic MTV. Some of those tried to transition over to VH1, where they were promptly eaten alive by the Mariah Careys, Celine Dions, and Whitney Houstons of the world. MTV Europe allotted for all other types of music, and that's what kept it alive.
That's what kept stadium acts like Bon Jovi alive: they went to tour heavily in Europe when grunge took over.

Either way, for the first time in at least 4 years, I flipped through my TV guide on my cable feed. It actually goes out a good 4 days. stopped on MTV. MTV2. MTVTres. MTVU (college)... not a single one had a show block for music videos. Not even VH1 did. VH1 Classic, did, and still does.

BL.

Reactions: petruc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.