MTV's Big Change

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Feb 10, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

mscriv

[​IMG]

LINK

Maybe this will satisfy all of those critics who say MTV is no longer about music. They're admitting that they aren't and changing their marketing and logo to reflect it.

2. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

More than a decade after the complaints rolled in?

MTV is out of touch. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So what's on MTV that is worth watching? Yea I can't think of any.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

All I'm saying is at least they are making this change and ending the confusion that the current logo with the tag of "Music Television" communicates. As they say, "better late than never".

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Isn't Snookie on MTV?

6. macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

We all know the M hasn't stood for Music since the early 90's.
    Pretty much stands for Moron TV now.

7. macrumors G5

yg17

They should change the M to an S to more accurately describe their programming.

8. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Does anyone born in the 80s or earlier even watch that channel anymore. Pile of sh...

9. macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that no one born ever watches that channel anymore. I'm not sure where they're getting the funding to even remove parts of their logo, much less have television stations.

10. macrumors 68000

Antares

I haven't watched MTV in over a decade. There's nothing on that channel that interests me. The last time I remember watching it was in the late 90's.

I'm glad they finally removed the tagline, though. That tagline has been a lie for a long time.

11. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Perhaps that's why they chopped the bottom half of the logo off...Lack of funding.

12. macrumors 6502a

I did the math. They used crop tool to remove the bottom and part of the right side, to save money on using invert tool.

13. thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I think the internet has killed music videos for the most part. When they were first introduced it was a way to connect and learn more about your favorite music artists. Prior to this the only options were to see live shows or join the fan club. But, by watching a music video I could see behind the scenes or get a better feel for the artist's style, personality, showmanship, etc. etc. The internet provided music artist and labels a new and easier way to connect with their fans. Myspace took it to a new level in it's beginning by allowing unsigned artist a chance to grow a fan base on a more personal level. With all that the internet provides today it's easy to see that music videos on television can't keep up. You have to applaud MTV for recognizing this and changing their business strategy to remain successful. While those, like me, who were born in the 70's and grew up with MTV can pine away about the "good ole' days", we have to recognize that if MTV had stuck to music videos as it's primary form of programming then it would have long ago failed.

14. macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think the internet killed music videos, it killed channels that showed nothing but music videos. Artists are still making them, but now you can just go to their YouTube channel and watch it whenever you want, you don't have to wait for MTV to get around to playing it.

15. thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Um... Err... but my post clearly says.... I'm kinda at a loss for words here, so I guess I'll just say, "that's a nice grasp of the obvious you have there." ;)