much faster Mac gaming on the way?

Discussion in 'Games' started by atari1356, Aug 21, 2006.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I couldn't find any other threads on this, and it seems like pretty big news... there's an article over at ArsTechnica which mentions this:

With a link to another article on InsideMacGames that has some additional info:

Looks like multi-processor Macs will be getting a nice boost in gaming performance - the question is when? Maybe not until Leopard, hopefully sooner...

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Let The MultiCore Applications Follow

This should portend what all applications will be able to take advantage of. :)

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed. This could be big news for games, but think of the advantages for applications as well. Very cool. :cool:

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

In 2006 a historic step took place: multi-processing machines became common--for low-cost CONSUMER systems.

As a result, the egg is here and the chicken is inevitable: we will see developers doing more and more with multi-threading because now it can benefit any kind of user :)

5. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I'm kind of surprised this wasn't being done already... I think we're going to be seeing most libraries converted to multi-threading very soon-- probably down to the networking layer where it didn't make sense to add the overhead before. It's the only way these monolithic applications are going to see much improvement on a 4 processor machine.

I think we're stuck at 3GHz and less for quite a while so single threaded apps, and apps linked to single threaded libraries, aren't going to show a performance improvement until they're broken down.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed. I think multiple cores are going to be the way of the near term future, not faster clock speeds. Just wait until the likes of Kentsfield, Clovertown and Dunnington are released. And they're not that far away either. :eek: :cool:

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

This is awesome news. I can't wait until Blizzard releases a UB of Warcraft III with these improvements to OpenGL :eek: :D

Bah, it better be available for the MacBooks :(

8. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

First Parallels saying they are going to do full hardware OGL and DirectX in 2.0 and now this.

The Mac a viable gaming platform? No, surely not! :D

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can't wait until Blizzard releases Starcraft 2... ;) :D :cool:

10. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

yes yes yes yes yes! freaking awesome!

whoo hooo! :p

11. macintel4me macrumors 6502

That's weird. I thought the OpenGL processing was handled by the GPU (at least with a reasonable dedicated graphics card).

12. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

By Starcraft 2 you also mean Diablo III UB with the original view intact!

13. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Don't forget Yorkfield and Tigerton (the latter of which should be out well before Dunnington).

With max clock speeds likely to stay around the same range or even drop slightly (in the case of Clovertown) with the addition of more cores, they'll have to get moving on this- they can't procrastinate or they will suffer the consequences of poorly performing products on fast computers.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, that as well. But mostly Starcraft 2. :p ;) :cool:

Absolutely - hopefully this is a wake-up call for developer's (if they aren't on board already), as the perception alone of the situation you described is undesirable at best - "new" apps running relatively sluggish on multi-core machines. There will be no excuse.

15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Screw games. I'm more interested in how this will impact OS X. Isn't all the CORE stuff and Quartz Express based on OpenGL? Add Quartz 2D Extreme into the mix and things get "interesting". Hmm

16. bmb012 macrumors 6502

So by the time the cell processor comes out with it's 8 ghetto cores, we'll be getting 8 real cores in one rig... interesting...

17. mattbray macrumors member

I think people are missing a pretty obvious point: We don't really have any games for Macs... You don't need to look any farther than the FPS genre to realize that Mac gamers are getting sloppy seconds. Case in point: the games that we do get, arrive long after their PC counterparts (Quake, Doom, Halo). What about a Mac port of F.E.A.R or any of the Half Life series?

Game developers need to work on getting games to Macs before they worry about how incredibly fast they run...

18. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Once we finally ditch the PowerPC for once and for all, expect that all to change. An intel only port will be done much faster and cheaper than porting the same game to run on PowerPCs.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed. And then there's always Parallels... ;)

20. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

This wil be good news for Mac gaming, with the Inetl change we have seen some very good developments of what Apple can do. With the Mac pro cheaper than the Dell equal and more developers making new mac software stuff this means more choice for the Apple community in general.

And after all the Intel ports will be done faster and cheaper, YAY :cool:

21. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

22. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Boot Camp is better for gaming than Parallels. ;)

23. torncanvas macrumors newbie

As a game developer myself, I resent anyone generalizing that no game developer wants to release a game for the Mac. We could easily do it, if it wasn't for the freaking 3rd party libraries!!!

You wanna bug someone about no Mac games - contact the makers of the following third party libraries and tell them to offer a Mac version:

SpeedTree
    Ageia PhysX
    AI.Implant
    Havoc

They offer Linux versions, so OS X should be no big deal. But noooo, no respect for the Mac. :/

24. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Blizzard has been hinting about this on the world of warcraft mac forums for a while.

25. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

sure, nice stuff, but does this matter at all when people will use Boot Camp to play games..?

I guess it's more of interest to GUI optimization and pro apps, isn't it?

vSpacken