Mud-slinging

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Election time is coming up, in the U.S. anyways. How bad is the mud-slinging in your area? Around here every other ad is one of the two Senatorial candidates making ridiculous claims about the other. :rolleyes:

2. big macrumors 65816

big

3. awrc macrumors regular

Not sure exactly what we've got coming up here in WI, only thing I've noticed ads for are primaries for Governor. Of those, I've only really noticed one candidate's ads, and that's mainly because she's so annoying.

Basically her entire campaign can be reduced to the phrase "for the children". She appears to have no policy on *anything* else except pouring money into schools.

As someone who has no children and has no plans to have children (other people are busy producing quite enough as it is), it's not a political stance that resonates particularly strongly with me.

There's also something about her demeanour that's not quite right - she broadcasts a strong aura of "school principal" but it's just a little out-of-tune, makes you wonder if she maybe works evenings in the local dungeon as Ilsa The Dominatrix, leather-clad disciplinarian.

We could do with a few good "my opponent eats babies" attack ads, if only to remind us of the fact that most of the candidates real primary interest is furthering their own political ambitions.

4. big macrumors 65816

big

we have one lady here that states "insert candidates name here- still gets things done"

this reminds me of some Aretha Franklin Song! or just plain makes me question the slogan in it entirety....still gets things done? when did the rest of us stop? I drive by your stupid billboards everyday

proving here ad campaign is working, now if I could only remember her name

5. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Both of the candidates here seem to have dropped any policies from their campaigns. They seem to have no stance on anything. All of their ads are "-insert opponent's name- is a special interest candidate who is responsible for WorldCom and Adelphia"

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I prefer the local mud-wrestling contests to the political mud-slinging campaigns.

But alas, the politicians around here wouldn't be too attractive in bikinis.

7. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Blech, Ted Kennedy in a bikini :( :eek: ;)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

While President Bush's brother is doing his usual inadequate job of running Florida, he's been putting out some negative campaigning, unlike the other gubernatorial candidates.

I think they should discuss his wife who brings thousands of dollars of jewelry into the country but doesn't declare any of it and his daughter, the drug addict who writes her own prescriptions and brings drugs into the drug-rehab house, and his son who got caught kissing in the mall. That should get peoples' minds off his poor performance in office. :D

9. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Now, now, let's not start mudslinging here too. Try to just mock politicians as a whole here :D

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems to me they've always done a good job of that on their own.

Though they will have to work very very hard to exceed James Traficant's showmanship this year.

11. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Hehe, it should be a good show when he attempts to run. He says that his voter turnout may be limited because he's running from out of state, yea I'm sure that's it :rolleyes:

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

13. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

A funny thing happened here in the run for Alabama Governor. The Repub s had Charleton Heston come in for a fundraising dinner for their party. The next day it came out in the news that the Gov in power, a Dem, called Mr. Heston the night before at home and asked, and was given, his endorsement. The Repubs new nothing of it.

Just thought it was a little weird... :p