Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    What are MUDS? How do I play them? What do I need to play them? I googled it but a lot of the FAQs were unclear and confusing, can someone explain it to me.
  2. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    A MUD is a multi user dungeon, most are played using telnet. So you'll telnet to a MUD server, enter your user details then start playing. Most MUDs I've seen use rather esoteric commands so a lot of reading is required.
  3. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I was absolutely addicted to mud one year at university. You don't have to use telnet, there are mud clients with color that make things a bit easier. I played "Aaargh mud", it was a lot of fun, but I don't know if they're still around.

It is text based adventure / role playing. You write s, n, w, e, up or down to move. Text output will tell you what you see and who else are around. Let's say there's a guard near you, write "kill guard" to start a fight with the guard. You will keep fighting until one of you flee or is killed. There are a whole range of things that can be done, you gain experience like in role playing which will improve your skills and you can talk to other players. I hope that makes it clearer.