Mugged in London, need some help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ceruleanventure, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Dramatic title isn't it?

Ok fellow macrumors member I need some advice. I don't really now what forum this belongs in, so sorry moderators! Last night I was leaving the tube (subway) station and I got mugged by a gang. They got everything, including my macbook and iPod. This has never happened to me, but is there anything I can do? I'm really worried about the contents of my hard drive (credit card numbers etc). When my friends found me they called the police and a report was taken at the hospital and I called my parents and asked them to cancel all my cards. The police asked for the serial numbers of the apple items, which I don't have anymore. Should I call Apple? Can they like flag the serial number or IP address or something? I'm also really worried about all the personal information on there (such as my address, pictures of my family and friends, where I work etc) What can I do if anything?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I would cancel your credit cards etc as a precaution. If you registered your kit with Apple they should be able to tell you the serial numbers. If you have the receipts they should be on there.

Sorry to hear about it but at least you are ok. Some people dont get off so lucky. :mad:

3. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

4. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

eenu, it was at the Tottenham Hale station on the Victoria line. The gang was just there, if anyone here uses the station around there please be careful!

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Man sorry......the chances of getting the laptop back is low......just thank gosh your alive.......forget the rest...

6. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

heh yeah thats why i was asking i am on the tube a lot next week :/

You didnt have that security software installed did you that takes pictures of the users and reports itself when online etc?

7. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

No I didn't have any security software installed, I just got the thing :(
    The police did tell that carrying it around in a laptop bag is not a good idea (I only had a laptop bag though) They recommend backpacks (to disguise what you're carrying) So eenu or anyone else, carry a laptop in a backpack while on the tube!

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Yeah i have mine in a backpack. When you get a new one get that software on it mate

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Man, sorry to hear that!

Lovely world, isn't it...? Nice to be advised to use other bags... :rolleyes:
    With all the CCTV camera's around London I hope this gang will be caught.

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Jesus, I'm always coming back from the library with my Macbook in my bag and listening to my iPod. Sometimes quite late at night too. I must be insane.

Sorry to hear about the mugging. Did you put up a fight or just hand it over? Were they violent? :(

11. beefy23 macrumors member

If you're going to be carrying a laptop bag, you want to make sure your bag is slung across your body diagonally and if possible under your overcoat - it makes it a harder target to swipe. The casual thief may not want to go through the hassle of getting it off you.

The police generally tend to recommend not putting up a fight particularly if you're outnumbered. If on the other hand, you're into martial arts etc you could take your chances.

Back to the OT, with all the CCTV coverage you'd be suprised that they still may not be able to recover the items. Hopefully you have a system password on the laptop - this will help keep your info private to a certain extent, this is one of the main reasons I use one - if the machine is stolen the casual 'blockhead' thief will not be able to get to your private info.

12. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

This is true. Last week, my brother had his car broken into. Thing is, he parked it under a light in full view of a CCTV camera. When he went in to ask to see the footage, they said that it only records 5secs every 10minutes. It is pretty pointless having those sorts of cameras but there is no guarantee that you were caught on it.

Oh and BTW, sorry to hear it!! You should be able to get it back under insurance though

13. PCtoMac-change macrumors member

****, they'd have to kill me before I handed over my MBP. But I always have atleast 2 or 3 people with me.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Potentially, the new 'pwners' of the Mac now have your email address, password, possibly PayPal and EBay logins and passwords, online banking logins, the lot. Anything that could have been in your Keychain, or your browser history and cache.

You need to change the passwords on every one of your online accounts ASAP, at a minimum.

That's an attitude that could buy you a whole lot of grief, or an early grave, friend.

If someone put a gun to your head and said: Give me $2000 or you die, the choice would be easy, wouldn't it.

If you have a chance to run away, run. If you are outnumbered and surrounded with a reasonable chance of knives or guns, give it up. Don't be foolhardy.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Your mum, dad, and little sister?

16. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I do alot of work with my realitives contracting bussiness and my co-worker and I, usually have to carry a laptop, PDA, cellphones, and Adress book which containes sensitive info about our customers. Because of this, we both have permits to carry a conciled wepon. I carry a .45 with me when ever we have sensitive items. We were at a gas station late at night comming back from a meeting and some guy comes up to my co-worker with a knife and demands his wallet, PDA, and laptop. I was able to grab my .45 pistol in time and I make the guy get on the ground. My co-worker calld the police and they arrested the mugger. it turnd out that themugger had a warrent out for him b/c he had murdered his wife and another person. It scares me to death what he would have done with all of those people addresses and credit card numbers! Im so thankful I was able to take him down and that he did not get the laptop. I hope he spends the rest of his friggin life in prison!

17. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Nice job. *high five*

18. PCtoMac-change macrumors member

No my 3 little sisters :eek:

19. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Should probably update your sig.

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

1. Obtain a very large caliber pistol.
    2. Rent all the "Death Wish" movies.
    3. Watch the movies while cleaning your new pistol.
    4. Start hanging out in the area where you got mugged.

21. beefy23 macrumors member

5. ???

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

6. Get some revenge.

23. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

#"...coz that's the American waaaaaaaay..."#

24. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

May that the worst thing of your experience be canceling cards, changing passwords, and regenerating your iPod and laptop on a new 'Pod and laptop. When I just lost some paper files with my address and account information, I did the usual security things but was haunted for weeks.
    The most likely scenario for you: the creeps will erase everything and sell it, rather than try to get into your house.
    'Hope you'll recover your sense of security soon. 'Hope it doesn't consist of getting a .45.

25. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Update:

Thanks for the useful suggestions guys

FleurDuMal,
    I originally didn't put up a fight when they grabbed me, they were violent after they had my stuff :mad:

I filed a complete police report and had my parents back at home cancel all my credit cards, checking accounts etc. Now I am going through my online accounts such as paypal and changing my information. My college email account has already been signed onto by someone and they sent out emails (which seems kinda dumb)

I'm sorry about the long delay in an update, things have been really hectic. At the time I was upset about losing my stuff, but as many have pointed out I am now very thankful to be alive. And Allotriophagy I guess I will update my sig