Muisc/files from PC > iPod > imac?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by manosaurus, Oct 17, 2006.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I was going to put my mp3's on my PC on my iPod and then move it to my iMac but when I plugged in the iPod to the PC I could not open my iPod. When I went to "my computer" and clicked on the "removeable storage device" I got something along the lines of "The device is not formatted.... do you want to format it now?"

What's up? Is it not possible to move files from computer to computer via iPod?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's possible and easy to do. Sounds like your iPod is Mac-formatted though and Windows can't read or write to Mac-formatted drives. Mac OSX can read and write to PC and Mac formatted iPods so if you want to move stuff between a PC and a Mac it's best to stick with PC formatting until you're finished.

3. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Thanks Chundles! And by the way, what is your avatar?

O.K. but will reformatting erase my current files and setting? Also, when I get a mac notebook, will I have the same issues or will I be able use my ipod as a middle man for trading mp3 files etc. between my imac and MBP?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Formatting = full erase.

When you're moving back and forth between two Macs and the PC is out of the equation, you could stay with PC formatting on your iPod (you'll need to use a PC to do any future firmware updates) or just reformat it back to Mac and not worry.

My avatar is Rob Sitch from The Late Show declaring something to be "Champagne Sketch Comedy."

5. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Thanks again.

I know it's not but for whatever reason your avatar makes me think of Tim Curry and the film Clue.