MUJI.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Abstract, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

GOOD ARTICLE: http://www.usefulandagreeable.com/muji.html

Store: http://store.muji.net/
    http://store.muji.net/static_html/pc/category/T00001.html
    http://www.muji.co.uk/

Maybe it's just me, but I love Muji. I don't know why, but I do. It's very generic looking. Many would say too simplistic and boring. I don't know how I feel. Sometimes I do love that minimalistic approach that they have about EVERYTHING they make. And no stupid logo on ANY of their products. Plus, they know how to recycle and use recycled materials in many of their products. I like this a lot. They're like Ikea, but less flash.

They make clothing which is very well priced, and it's because the materials they use, design philosophy, and entire manufacturing process saves them a lot of work. They're not adding weird fades and miscolourings (ie: a white stripe of paint) to their jeans to make them look worn out because that sounds like a ridiculous thing to do, and they know it. They don't hide the fact that they use recycled paper for packaging, and they don't mind that their boxes look like regular, brown cardboard boxes.

What I like about the existence of Muji is that they're really one of the only stores I can think of where you can still buy generic stuff. Even if you go to a Walmart or other cheap store, none of their stuff is truly generic. People are still buying logos and packaging, but lesser brands. I can't just buy a pair of slippers, a back scrub for showering, a pencil, and pack of paper without looking at a bunch of logos to see if I "should" like it. And the paper and pencil they sell are made from recycled materials. I love it. It truly IS generic, except you know that it's Muji. I realize that it is a brand, but it's really not the same.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I love Muji too.

I'm sitting here in London thunderstorm heat wearing absolutely nothing except a large baggy white t-shirt and my Muji flip-flops (black with white translucent strappy bit).

There's a Muji store just a couple of hundred yards away as I type... mmm... all those little boxes, those little vials, organisers, holders and storage solutions.

One thing I've learned through hard experience.
    Those really nice CD boxes? Don't expect to come back and get another 6 matching ones in a year's time... :(

Like their wall-mounted CD player as a concept too.

3. iGav macrumors G3

4. Lau Guest

Yes

Yup

and yes! :mad:

Hence, Muji/Uniqlo/other generic stuff pleases me hugely. There's nothing worse than finding, for instance, a really perfect breadbin, and then finding out it says "BREAD" on it. I know! I put bread in it! I'm not going to forget by the morning... :rolleyes:

I really like this:

[​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

The CD player's designed to sit in a book case, which is pretty cool. Especially as I often store my PowerBook in with my books, so it would be a technology bonzana on 3" of my book case. Yay!

5. iGav macrumors G3

I have to admit, I've never noticed that particular phenomena... :p

MUJI seem to have been selling exactly the same stuff for 10 years now. :eek: :p :p :p

6. dcv macrumors G3

Muji's great for acrylic storage boxes and desk accessories etc. And i'm sitting on a grey microfibre sofabed from Muji in my spare room right now :)

I almost bought that very same bookshelf cd player a year or two ago but then decided the iPod was the way to go...

7. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What is it?

Also, that UNIQLO store is pretty much The Gap, which isn't why I like MUJI. ;)

And they sell pre-torn jeans. I hate it when they make jeans ripped and worn out so that people with no personality can look like they have actually experienced things in their lifetimes. Just buy 2nd hand jeans if you likes worn out jeans. :rolleyes:

Like iGAV, I also don't believe that they switch merchandise too often, but it depends on what it is. Clothing will obviously stay for a season, but things like pens, pencils, CD holders, binders..........those are staples, no? They stick around. :confused:

Pretty picture. :p

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I love their pens in many different colours - they write on almost anything, last for ages and are only about 80p each.

I also like the odd things they have each Christmas which are ideal stocking fillers. I'd most like them to sell their stock storage boxes which are a great size to go under the bed with stuff in them but they don't sell them

9. Lau Guest

It's a phone. They call it a "second phone", presumably because it doesn't have number storage etc. You keep it face down on the table, and when you lift it up, you get the dial tone. To hang up, just put it back down. The sticking out speaky bit does the magic. :)

That's interesting. I haven't been to a Uniqlo since I lived in London which was a couple of years ago, and when I used to go it didn't do stuff like that, which was why I liked it. Next time I'm in London I'll go. (For research purposes, obviously :) )

10. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They have a UNIQLO in London? Where abouts? Mind you, I lived in London for almost a year, so I might know where you're talking about if you tell me.

Oh, and it looks like the UK store has a different selection to the Japanese store. The stuff still looks kinda Gap-ish to me. Very conservative, but they try to throw in a colour to make themselves less bland. I don't mind plain, but its the way they use colours in very normal clothing that makes it look like Gap to me.

11. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Hey, I like unbranded articles a lot, too.

If you buy a box of tissues at target (the kind with a decorative cover) and take the cover off, the box is just a white box that says "tissue paper" in black, block letters on the face. i loved that box.

12. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i used to shop a lot at muji, i do it a little less now though..

kinda because of a bad experience with their paper -- don't buy paper from them (derr). I kinda had some rough notes on one of their pads..but it went a very odd yellow colour and all the ink faded off..still, probably my bad (it WAS all dry though..no water damage).

the little neat stuff like pens and rubbers are cool..i've never tried their clothes but maybe i should.

P.S. now i do all my paper shopping at Ordning & Reda or Paperchase ;)

13. Lau Guest

The one I went to a few times was in Wimbledon, but there's one in Knightsbridge, or Kensington High Street or somewhere like that. I can't remember where exactly, but it was somewhere that was a bit of a trek, and where Uniqlo was the only shop I could afford anything from. Could have been either then!

I think they have other branches too, though. Oh, and I seem to remember the floor in the shop looked like it was loads of tiny little pebbles/gravel glued together but was actually made of rubber. It was very cool. Worth the trip alone (maybe)!

14. Lau Guest

Yeah, there's some really cheap paper that I really like, but I do think it looks like it might disintegrate after a year or so! It looks like the "rough books" you used to get at primary school. :)

Ordning and Reda looks niiiice.... :) I am actually a little obsessed by stationery.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A couple of years ago, there used to be one just a hundred yards or so down past Harrods on Brompton Road. It's now gone and I'm not surprised... poor retail location for their products. Needed somewhere a little more high-street-like. Another branch in North London also closed...

There was also another at the bottom of Regent St. near Piccadilly Circus. I still have a couple of Tshirts I picked up there but they're on the verge of being relegated to the DIY bag along with all the tools that hangs in one of my cupboards.

Google gives this:
    • 25 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W1D 7EG - 020 7494 6110
    • 84 Regent St, London, W1B 5RR - 020 7434 9688
    • Unit 2, 51 The Broadway, London, SW19 1QD - 020 8944 8836

So despite the early optimism of their launch, they're down to only 3 branches in London. But the retail industry and esp. clothes are having a tough time of it here at the mo.

16. Lau Guest

Well, I went to the Regent Street Uniqlo on Saturday, and I have to agree that it's gone downhill in recent years. The clothes were all a bit crap. They did have cashmere jumpers for £40, but although nice, who wants to dry clean a jumper?
    :confused:

However I did buy some pajama trousers, a set of hankies and some socks. You can't go to Uniqlo and not buy socks. :)

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Who's gonna be the lucky person on Christmas day, then? :D :p

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i dont like UNIQLO, their cloths dont fit me at all, they just dont work for me, muji i like though i rarely shop their, i should do more often.

19. Lau Guest

:D

But they were for me! I know how to treat myself..... :rolleyes: