mulitiple os boot-up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gokhan, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi

i am new to mac's and getting to now my powerbook very well

anyway i would like to know wether like on a pc i can run more than one os one my pb

memory is plenty 1gb i know with a pc u select which sysytem u want to start up from at start-up can u do this with a mac cause i wanna install panther but want to keep os 10.1 because it has a few apps i can't be bothered to back up

thank u

mac users

2. awulf macrumors 6502

Yes Macs can Multi-Boot, I have a multi boot mac myself. All you have to do is install the different OS's on separate Hard disks/partitions.

When you hold down the 'option' key when you turn on the computer it gives you the choice of which OS you want to boot from.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: mulitiple os boot-up

If you put the Panther CD/DVD in and choose to Upgrade, you'll keep all your existing apps, and therefore won't need to dual boot or partition your drive.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: mulitiple os boot-up

Don't choose upgrade especially from such and old system. It will cause all sorts of problems. Choose Archive and install and also make sure deselect the option to copy over prefs. This will install the new system and put the old system and your user account in a folder title previous system. None of the data is lost and you can just copy over what you want and run it a while that way prior to deciding to delete the old system.