Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pardus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
My desktop is a clutter mess of single external drives. I have 3 Evo 850 SSD drives, a 4tb 3tb WD Caviar Black and an 8TB seagate for backups. Its an ugly mess. I am looking to at least consolidate the SSD drives into a single unit, preferably 4tb as I plan to get another one at some point.

The thing is, all the 2.5" multi bay enclosures seem to be $300+ for just the enclosure without a drive. I m using $0.99 seagate enclosures from macsales and they work fine, does it really cost that much more for a multi bay? I realize they offer raid and have cooling etc but not needing a raid system right now and don't think the SSD need much for cooling.

Anyone have any suggestions to get this cleaned up for under $100

USB 3 is fine but do have a late 2014 5K iMac with TB2 and a 2016 MBP on the way.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Thunderbolt is a chunk of the price difference you are looking at. The other part is how much more niche multi-bay enclosures are compared to the need to have a drive in an enclosure for backup. Especially 2.5" enclosures.

If you are willing to stick to USB3, you can get a 2-bay enclosure in the price range you are looking for. A 4-5 bay really only gets down to 100$ if you go with eSata, leaving you with having to buy your own eSata-to-whatever bridge for that. Which if you want thunderbolt, is another 80$ or so for something like the Kanex model.

Pardus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I use this for 4 SSD's
https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-LYSB0...rd_wg=8pw2A&psc=1&refRID=J3CYN3RPW1C9NB40ZDVH

$300 isn't a lot of money, especially if you've already got 3 850 SSDs...

I will probably end up getting something like that, I am just in a bit of a transition period.

Late 2014 5K iMac with TB2 and a 2016 MBP with USB-C, I will get a new iMac when the next model is released that will likely have USB-C as well. Just didn't want to have to spend that much now on a TB2 version as I will want a USB-C soon. Maybe should be looking at a USB-C version and then use the adaptor back to TB2 for now? hmm..

M3Jedi77

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I will probably end up getting something like that, I am just in a bit of a transition period.

Late 2014 5K iMac with TB2 and a 2016 MBP with USB-C, I will get a new iMac when the next model is released that will likely have USB-C as well. Just didn't want to have to spend that much now on a TB2 version as I will want a USB-C soon. Maybe should be looking at a USB-C version and then use the adaptor back to TB2 for now? hmm..
That sounds like a good idea. I have exactly the iMac you do and am in the same predicament. I'd also prefer the speed of USB-C. I'd go for the new Macbook if they had actually made a pro version. Imaging if they brought back the 17".. 2x as many ports... 64GB ram... It'd be bliss.

Reactions: Pardus

cl516

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Toronto
I'm a bit late to the game, as I'm just now upgrading from a way old Mac Pro 3,1. Getting the 4.0 i7 27" 2015 iMac next week, and I've already ordered an Akitio chassis for drives just like the link above. Except mine is the one with the little handle bar, so it accepts both 2.5 and 3.5 drives. Hopefully the fan isn't too loud!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I'm a bit late to the game, as I'm just now upgrading from a way old Mac Pro 3,1. Getting the 4.0 i7 27" 2015 iMac next week, and I've already ordered an Akitio chassis for drives just like the link above. Except mine is the one with the little handle bar, so it accepts both 2.5 and 3.5 drives. Hopefully the fan isn't too loud!

The OWC version of the enclosure can have the fan replaced. I don't know about the Akitio version. The fan is not terrible, but it is pretty noticeable in my rather quiet room. I did swap out the fan. Doesn't have as much airflow when running this slowly, but is definitely more quiet. The drives themselves are the source of most of the noise now. (I use HDDs though...)

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The OWC version of the enclosure can have the fan replaced. I don't know about the Akitio version. The fan is not terrible, but it is pretty noticeable in my rather quiet room. I did swap out the fan. Doesn't have as much airflow when running this slowly, but is definitely more quiet. The drives themselves are the source of most of the noise now. (I use HDDs though...)

What OWC enclosure are you using? I am using the Thunderbay 4 enclosure. What fan did you end up replacing in your OWC enclosure? I was thinking of replacing the fan as well to a quiter fan.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
What OWC enclosure are you using? I am using the Thunderbay 4 enclosure. What fan did you end up replacing in your OWC enclosure? I was thinking of replacing the fan as well to a quiter fan.

This fan works well in my Thunderbay 4 and IV enclosures (comes with several speed-select cables):
Noctua NF-B9
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014I9K30/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the smaller Thunderbay Mini I use this one:
Scythe Mini KAZE 40mm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RD0RDU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This fan works well in my Thunderbay 4 and IV enclosures (comes with several speed-select cables):
Noctua NF-B9
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014I9K30/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the smaller Thunderbay Mini I use this one:
Scythe Mini KAZE 40mm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RD0RDU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the info. Did you have to do any modifications to the fan cable or was it a case that you could just plug the fan cable as is to the Thunderbay 4 envlosure? I am using a dual RAID1 config so I need to make sure that the proper amount of ventilation occurs. How much quiter is the Noctua fan vs the one that comes with the enclosure?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks for the info. Did you have to do any modifications to the fan cable or was it a case that you could just plug the fan cable as is to the Thunderbay 4 envlosure? I am using a dual RAID1 config so I need to make sure that the proper amount of ventilation occurs. How much quiter is the Noctua fan vs the one that comes with the enclosure?
No cable changes required. It comes with a couple of cable "cable speed adjustors" which probably just have a inline resistor and can be selected to adjust the speed of the fan to your liking (and noise level). I have mine running at minimum speed and can't hear the fan at all, although the enclosure has mostly SSD drives in there, there is a TM backup disk drive and I can hear it when it is active at backup time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.