multi ipods... 1 not working

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cschmidt, Nov 27, 2005.

1. cschmidt macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2005
    near charlotte nc

I'm an ipod noobie... so this may be an easy one. I did a few searches and didn't see a situation that matches.

I bought my wife an ipod in April, one of the newer 20gb ones. We installed itunes on a windows xp machine and all is well.

Come September we bought our 2 daughters ipod shuffles. The rat race of school and other activities have prevented us from playing with them until this week-end.

The goal is 1 computer, maybe 1 itunes library we can share, 3 user accounts on the windows XP machine, and the 20gb + 2 shuffles have music.

Shuffle # 1 (remember the noobie part here) I stumble through the registration, setup, update of itunes to support it, and the computer would still not find it. I did the ipod update to current shuffle software level and all is fine.

Shuffle # 2 is the problem child. Itunes would not find it and the ipod updater would not find it - using the same USB port as the other shuffle. So I read a bit and somewhere it says to try the update from another computer. That works and I reset to factory sw. Bring it back to computer #1 and it will still not find it ( ipod updater or itunes). Back to computer # 2 and itunes will find it.

Suggestions? Further reading sources? Anyone know if itunes 6.0 can support 2 shuffles?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Is it the XP machine you're trying to get them to work with? Have you read this? :)