Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyorange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Hello Everyone, new to Mac type here to please be gentle!

I've been a PC person since forever but more and more I've come in need of a mac, mainly for editing and the use of Final Cut Pro and After Effects. My PC has served me well but was slowing and so when I saw a cheap G5 for sale I snapped it up. Now I'm aware it's the older PowerPC style and it doesn't support the latest and greatest apps but FCP 6 will do me fine. However I have some hardware setup questions I can't seem to find a simple answer to anywhere so I turn to you for help.

My G5 came with a rather nice 23' HD Cinema display that I'm currently using, however in my old PC setup I used 3 monitors, 2 identical ones and a TV via DVI-HDMI so I could edit over the two windows and monitor my work on the telly.

This mac has one DVI output which the Cinema Display is using and a weird ADC port which I can't use. Firstly, will a simple "ADC to DVI" adapter work and allow me to use two monitors? I'm in the UK, can anyone suggest a good one, not sure it I trust the "generic" ones that pop up on eBay.

Secondly, what options do I have to enable a third monitor, there are USB to DVI options but none of these seem to support the PowerPC Mac that I have. Helps? Is a PCIx/PCI graphics card worth it?!

My preferred setup would be 1 cinema display and 2x 1440x900 monitors (90 degree rotate) either side to allow me to have various bins and settings and have the main monitor for the timeline etc. Is this possible?

Spec wise this is what I have Power Mac G5 (June 2004) - Technical Specifications (2.5ghz variant)

As I say I'm very new to the world of Mac and I appreciate some of the things I'm after may not be supported, but I think it must be possible somehow...

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Fortunately, converting ADC to DVI isn't too bad. Belkin makes some inexpensive adapters that do the trick just fine. The tough part is using a DVI Mac with an ADC monitor, so be glad you don't have to do that.

lazyorange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Fortunately, converting ADC to DVI isn't too bad. Belkin makes some inexpensive adapters that do the trick just fine. The tough part is using a DVI Mac with an ADC monitor, so be glad you don't have to do that.

As it happens I do have an ADC monitor but it's not brilliant hence wanting to use one of my PC DVI monitors, but as I say, I'd like to use all 3 (two DVI, one cinema display) But yes in Googling the problem I can see how doing things the other way around might be problematic!

lazyorange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
You need this: http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=214 and this: http://cgi.ebay.pl/Formac-ADC-DVI-monitor-adapter-/250678647134
Your G5 is AGP one, so you need PCI gfx card to drive 3rd screen. Search eBay, maybe you'll find one for reasonable price. It has to be card with Mac firmware. This linked one was most powerful official Mac PCI card.
Many thanks for this! I've got the adapter and that's doing its job perfectly, will think about the PCI card, many thanks for your input!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.