Multi Powerbook AF Render Questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mymemory, Nov 15, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, I am doing video for live shows, I usually do everything in my 1Ghz 12" Powerbook but now I have to do full resolution video and I am socking everything out of the (overrated) dual 2.0 G5 I have.

Now, today I am going to return the G5 because I was thinking in getting the dual 2.5. But as I need Powerbooksssss for live shows I was thinking in getting 2 new 12" PB and do the render in network.

Now, is there a way that I can actually use all the 3 Powerbooks power all the time in a net work while I am operating just one as a master? I mean, for Final Cut Pro, After Effects and so on. I know how to do network render using After Effects but I want to be capable of using the ram and processor from the other machines as well FOR EVERY OTHER APPLICATION.

Is there a way to do that using standart Ethernet ports?

Thanx. :rolleyes:

BTW. The G5 are way too over rated, I do not see the 64 bit any where but lets not go over that in this discussion.

2. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well... the G5 is not so slow after all... is taking to the 1Ghz Powerbook with 1.256MB of ram 5 hours to do the same render the G5 used to do in 20 minutes!!! :eek:

I think I would have to get some 20 12" PB to beat that.

3. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ha! Enlapse time 1Hr and 6 minutes and now 8Hrs, 16 Min to go... in the 12" PB. Is no good, it is an animation with a 3D render I made in After Effects, the animation last 1 munute in total and the computer got stucked in secon 13 frame 1.

4. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, due to the lack of answers I'll keep posting... the G5 now is at 2.5 hours and the PB at 3.53 hours. So, the difference was not that big after all, it look factible to get 2 more 12" Powerbooks and do (at list) the render in AF in a network.

Is pity the lack of power of the G5 I am getting barely half the time of a G4 1Ghz processor, that is not what I got advertised. There will be one hour difference in the final render time between the two machines doing the same project, probably 1.3 hours.

5. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

At the end...

The time difference of a Powerbook 12" 1Ghz with 1.256 of Ram Vs a dual 2.0 G5 with 512MB of ram was from 30 to 40 minutes.

In conclusion getting 2 PB 12" revision C and network them wold accomplish the same results + I will have the portability of the PBs for my jobs.

Let see.

Thanx to my invisible audience in joing me for this real time experiment, I hope we can meet soon in another mymemory "hands on" in macrumors.

Thank you very much and have a good evening (clappings!!!!) :eek:

6. betsbillabong macrumors regular

How's the 12" for VJing?

Hey VJRei,

Quick, somewhat-off-topic question:

How's the 12" doing you for VJing, FCP, etc?

I'm a composer and media artist and run lives shows using Max/MSP. I ordered a 12" then had buyer's remorse about it... today it came and the LCD was messed up. So I have the option to return it and get the 15". But it sounds like it works alright for you to use the 12"

Thanks,
    Betsey

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Dude. Less caffeine.

Also, you cannot use the CPU and RAM in multiple machines at once in most apps. The only real way to do such a thing is network renders, but not in "real time".

8. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I thought there was, how the supper computer at the university works then?

I am right now at the Apple Store in Aventura waiting for the genious bar to see the G5 because is way too expensive and IN FACT overrated, I did my real time experiment and I didn't see the 64 bits any where.

THE KING HAS NO CLOTHES!!!!

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am not sure I understand your question(s). Do you use your PB when doing your VJ work? Do you use the G5? What else do you use?

I took your question to mean that you were looking for ways to efficiently render your source material. In that regard, in some ways having three PB's as opposed to two machines (PB and PM) would be more efficient, as you would be able to work on three independent projects simultaneously, using the full resources of the computers. Timed correctly, it could be a time-saver.

What kind of video do you do? Back in the day, I used to use a Pentium III laptop during shows, just so I could use VJam, which I loved as a VJ program and is available only for PC's. Combined with a Videonics mixer and a DVD and VCR I managed to do pretty well. I am merely curious about this, as it does not pertain to your question directly.

Are you "borrowing" all of these computers again?

10. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I was looking for a set up that could be efficient at home and in live performance as well.

At home sometimes I have to do some broadcast video and a G5 would be the computer for that while in live performance I only use powerbooks.

Now, I got the G5 (I just came back from the store) and I realize that doing a render (the same video go to www.vjrei.com/delano.mov) took the same time for both computers, the G5 finished about 30 minutes to 45 minutes before the 12" powerbook and the render took about 3 hours in total +/- 30min).

So, in my experience the G5 is not such machine. I am thinking in getting one (or two) of the new PB (to keep) and create some sort of render farm while doing works at home. I may get one rev C and a used rev B would work to for a total of 3 powerbooks.

My performances are very interactive and I use Arkaos, Motion Dive and some other software depending of the performace. I still having 2 PB G3 500 (pismos) because some VJ applications still working in native 9.2.

So, it was very sad for me to see the G5 didn't make it I still not getting it, what happened to the speed? the bechmarks? since day one the computer was very slow, the only thing it did very fast was the preview to ram in After Effects but the rest was slow. Actually probably you remember I mentioned that I felt a 25% in speed two weeks ago, well, as a mater of fact the render I did today was a 25% difference! So, I was not talking BS actually. I always want to prove myself I am wrong but it is real, the G5 are not such machines, they are a big scams!

Actually a friend of mine just told me that the audio studios in New York are changing the G5 for the new iMac because looks like the iMac run faster than the tower (that is arumor).

So, I made my experiment, it cost me $270 by the way but at list I am not carrying a 10 ponds steel overrated box with me.

remember too, no one will acept they spent $3000 in a computer that is not such thing, people have big egos let me tell you, I have seen that hapening with other equipment in technology, users do not accept they spent $3000 in something that does not do the job ex. The Sampler Kurzweil K2500 series.

11. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Is the best computer ever!, easy to transport, fast (for what it does) and all the port you needed. Get a brand new one.

I have an exterla 20" Apple monitor (the old ones) and a wireless keyboard and mouse (get wired please!) and an external 160GB HD and I am all set.

I am doing broadcast ng with it in Final Cut Pro, I have maximixed the ram and I am thinking in actually getting one of the new 12" as you saw.

I can not make any comment regarding the 15" but the 12" is so portable and nice. Go for it.