Multi-Task Handblender advice/experiences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uspcommuter, Sep 20, 2006.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hello All,

I recently took in my little cousin (don't aww he just turned 18) and became his guardian. So you can imagine that I am low on two things right now. First thing is space and the second is huge amt of $$$. :) (of course everyone has those problems).

Now one of the things that I say I can do for him...is to have as many homecook meal as possible. So one of the things I run into is...not having certain tools in the kitchen to aid me in my quest...stuff like mixers, blenders etc. While I dont consider those as kitchen essentials per se, it does cut down time spent on preperations and stuff. I only have so much free time between school and work to free hand everything manually ;-).

So now its down to product selection, I was thinking about buying individual equipment to do things I need such as whipping, mixing, blending.

Sidenote: to fellow alton brown fans here...I know it sacrilege to mention these items....(multitaskers that forgot what they were originally designed to do), but the bank is low and so is space so I have to choose :)

So here are some equipment I was looking at, they are relatively inexpensive, if you have any experience with them...or know of similar product that is of better value in price or function let me know.

http://www.braun.com/na/products/fooddrink/foodpreparation/handblenders/mr400.html

http://www.braun.com/na/products/fooddrink/foodpreparation/handblenders/mr5000.html

Thanks for your help.

Tony

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm a Cook's Illustrated subscriber (cooking magazine run by the same standards as Consumer Reports), and they recently tested these stick blenders in one of the magazine issues.

This Kitchen Aid model topped their list.

Now, personally I don't own one of these little guys, but I do have several other KitchenAid appliances (blender, food processor, and standing mixer) and can vouch for the quality and durability of their products.

I can also look later when I get home and see what their "best value" winner was if you don't feel like spending $90 for this item.

3. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Mactastic,

Any luck on the value model...need to evaluate my other options. Thanks.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh certainly, I'll check on that for you tonight. I didn't know if this thread was being read or not. ;)

5. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

:D Of cousre its still being read. hehehehe

Well like I said...just wanted to evaluate my options, thats all. The Kitchen Aid model is still within reach $-wise, but if there is a value model I will be fine with that as well.

Thanks mactastic.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, sorry this took so long. The night I was going to go home and check I ended up taking my wife to the hospital. Nothing serious, but she's on bed rest for the next four weeks.

Anyhow, when I did go look, it turns out there is a $49.99 KitchenAid that ranked first. The $34.99 Braun Multiquick was second. (Amazon seems to have it listed at $31.99)

Again, my apologies for the delay. Good luck with your decision.

7. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mactastic, hope your wife feels better.

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I would go with the Braun over the Kitchen Aid, I personally favor the Braun, I have had Kitchen Aid products, yes they are tough and can do heavy duty stuff but how many people are you trying to feed!?!... oh I find them to be over priced for the features.