Multi-Touch apple hardware + apple audio app (proTools killer)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mongushu, Mar 27, 2007.

1. mongushu macrumors newbie

I've heard that Apple has been working on a music app labeled a "proTools-killer" for use with next-generation hardware.

Think multitouch, gestural audio environment similar to ableton live.

Could quite possibly be the end of midi-controllers (and its about time anyways) and the start of new expression with computer aided music.

It makes sense, though doesnt it? Apparently the iPhone was in the works for many years. I'd bet that this proTools-killing system is in the works right now, and has been for a little while already. I cant wait till they release full sized multitouch devices, an OS that supports them, and the software thats going to revolutionize computer music.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

right, i know you're just aping apple's alleged "pro tools killer" line, but have you actually done work w/ protools? if so, please explain how multi-gestures would make me want to give up PT, a program which is rock-solid, flexible, powerful, and allows me to not only work quickly but get the results i want.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Perhaps you can riff with your feet while mixing subgroups with each finger, routing AU's with your tongue and controlling master levels with your manhood, or something. Have some imagination, man!

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that i do anyway: the more exciting parts are always louder.

5. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

What?!

You must be an accountant or something.

6. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Audio people do not want any sort of magic touch screens. We want freakin' knobs and sliders! And we already have this! The Pro Tools boards out there now already work with Pro Tools software. Ex: move a slider on the board, and the slider on the screen moves. This is somewhat standard now in the big studios.

[​IMG]

http://www.digidesign.com/icon

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I'd rather have an $800 touch-screen monitor I can move my sliders and knobs with, than a $10,000 control surface.

But I may be the minority. My "recording" has been mostly 4-track cassette back in the old days, and some visits to the $25/hour studios. For the past year I have only begun to explore and use computer-based recording thanks to my 12" PB, Garageband, Logic Pro, and the M-Audio Ozone. So I guess I am not used to the tactile feedback most people have been using for years.

At any rate, I am very excited to see what type of Logic "re-vamp" they have in store. I like recording live instruments in Garageband, then when I'm done laying down all the tracks, I'll import into Logic for mixing/mastering. I think that's due to the Apple vs. Emagic approach to the programs. I think everyone agrees Apple didn't do much to make Logic "their own". But I guess that's all about to change :D

8. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I'm very excited about the touch screen stuff, but it will be a long while until I do any recording with my fingers touching the screen. There are way to many elements into audio recording for a touch screen to do. Besides, I often close my eyes to hear what I am seeing!!! I have struggled so long with recording on a computer. Besides, with effects and analog devices used to create a sound it would hardly be believable. iTunes would be a start though.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You must have very clean hands

10. mongushu thread starter macrumors newbie

my experience: I used to do a lot of recording/producing in protools with a digi-002R and a slew of other software and hardware controllers. I went to school for computer-aided music, studying synthesis, computer music, audio culture, and computer science.

my response: I dont think that you in particular will want to give up protools. If it works for you, then thats absolutely perfect. Aint broke, dont fix it.

FOr me, and what i know to be a pretty large community of others, it IS broke. it just doesnt fit the job anymore. And i guess thats because small developments over time have convinced me that computer-aided music offers much more than whats found in a protools session.

When I discovered Ableton live, and later Max/MSP, I realized how much more is possible with computer-aided/produced/recorded music than what the 'industry standard' software has to offer. These products (Live and Max/MSP) allowed me to really utilize my computer and my imagination as tools to create music. I look back at my protools days and see how limited the scope of possibilites was...or atleast appeared to be. Yes, protools is a wonderful multi-track recording sollution. Yes, it works wonderfully in a studio setting, recording and composing all sorts of sounds and music. But, really, ProTools and many other programs of its ilk are simply the best possible way to do the sort of editing and recording that has been going on for decades. And for that traditional take on producing music, yes, it is still good. Having done that for a while, I realize thats not for me.

Myself, and many many others are looking forward to any technical developments that facilitate new and interesting ways to interact with, produce, compose, and record sounds. Multi-touch gestural software and hardware certainly offers a lot of promise for people like me. JazzMutant's Lemur, although pretty limited, is a sign that better things are coming.

So, thats really what i wanted to talk about. I guess i shouldn't have mentioned the whole "protools killer" bit. That wasn't really relevant.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that makes more sense. i don't use PT for composing, but tracking and mixing, like you said.

i'm all for new technologies to help me compose and arrange. but as you said just above, "PT killer" isn't really what's going on. sorry for the disruption!