Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I was reading into OSX lion and apple states this:

''Multi-Touch gestures make everything you do on iPad easy and intuitive. Now a richer Multi-Touch experience comes to the Mac. Enjoy more fluid and realistic gesture responses, including rubber-band scrolling, page and image zoom, and full-screen swiping. In Mac OS X Lion, every swipe, pinch, and scroll looks and feels more responsive and lifelike.''​

So how does this differ from the current use of the trackpads for macbooks? they can already swipe, pinch, scroll and zoom. So how is this different? Is it just more fluid and sensitive? Or am I looking at an awesome upgrade to the mac trackpad? (which is already far superior to a mouse!!)

Last edited:

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
More gestures

Well what they did was basically add more gestures. I've heard that people noticed that the gestures feel more fluid, but I haven't noticed that.

For instance you can now swipe up with on finger on an icon in the dock to do an 'application expose' and see all the window for the app. Which is quicker than holding down a click on a dock icon in Snow Leopard.

Another addition is that you can now swipe to different spaces. And by swiping to with 2 fingers left or right. And you can also double tap with 2 fingers and you'll invoke mission control.

So I guess that's what they meant by it.

Cha Cha Desmond

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
The additional gestures are pretty nice.

My favourites are swiping to go back in Safari and the swipe to switch Spaces. It feels iOS like in that it's really smooth. A bit buggy too, but that's to be expected at this stage.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
That's already in Snow Leopard. :)
Not the new cool two-finger swipe where the new page slides into screen. And there are now additional choices for the three-finger scroll, I myself have it set up to drag the current window.

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
sometimes apple is really good at advertising the same things the previous product already had but they make it sound like its a new feature..

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
sometimes apple is really good at advertising the same things the previous product already had but they make it sound like its a new feature..
What they advertise is "Now a richer Multi-Touch experience comes to the Mac", and that's indeed true as there are a lot of new gestures.

feare

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
The new multi touch gestures are pretty cool. Safari got a lot of really pretty animations to go with the multi-touch gestures... although its more bugged than simply using the backwards and forwards buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.