Multi-Track Recording Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SAdProZ, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'm a recent PC switcher. Got a Powerbook and loving it. Unfortunately, I miss my Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (now called Adobe Audition). It was an intuative, powerful multitrack recording software. Didn't tax the system, took up only 120MB of hard-drive space, would hug me, tuck me in at night, and bake me oatmeal cookies.

Is anyone familiar with this software. If so, what is the Mac Platform equivalent? And no, Garageband isnt it.
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    There's never going to be a direct replacement, as all recording packages are, to an extent, idiosyncratic. However there are better systems around.

You should look at Protools LE, the cut-down version of the professional Protools HD system, which is as close to an industry standard as you're likely to find.

Also, Logic Pro and Express are very capable audio recorders, along with comprehensive MIDI sequencing too. Digital Performer is well thought of in the States, it's audio section comes free with MOTU's hardware. You could also look at Cubase and Nuendo (virtually the same system).

These systems are all fully featured audio/midi recorders, each with it's own particular style, there are others, Abelton Live for instance, and you'll need to try to decide which is best for you.

I'm a studio engineer turned to lecturing, I use Protools and Logic, Protools is perhaps the most complete audio recorder, but it's MIDI complement isn't as good as Logic's.

It does depend on what you want to do with your recorder.

Protools makes better cookies than Cooledit... :D