Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Just being able to password lock your email app would be sufficient. That way your 3 year old can't accidentally delete the important message your boss might have sent you earlier. Apps can be locked down if I am not mistaken, should the developer write in that capability.

Why must a 3 year old play with an iPad ? Why when guest come over do they have to play with your iPad ? What ever happened to social interaction ? Geeze. (Or don't sent up mail on the iPad. Use your home computer instead. Besides the mail app blows BIG chunks).

Why do you HAVE to buy any kids an iPhone or iPad ??? Teenagers ? Get them a Nano, if they want more, do like my mom use to do. Sing. " Get a job na na nanana "

Three year olds and iPads. I still can't get over that one.

This sent from my work issued Toshiba, because EVERY Apple laptop has a
$%@^$# built in camera. Not every facility allows cameras.

MacSiggy

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Why must a 3 year old play with an iPad ? Why when guest come over do they have to play with your iPad ? What ever happened to social interaction ? Geeze. (Or don't sent up mail on the iPad. Use your home computer instead. Besides the mail app blows BIG chunks).

Why do you HAVE to buy any kids an iPhone or iPad ??? Teenagers ? Get them a Nano, if they want more, do like my mom use to do. Sing. " Get a job na na nanana "

What a ridiculous thing to say. Why shouldn't a 3 year old be allowed to play on it? There are plenty of child friendly apps out there. My 16 month old son likes to play on it. You need to move with the times, kids love this type of stuff and it's as much a part of growing up as learning how to use a pencil.

With regards to social interaction, that's one of iPad greatest assets, sharing with family and friends, rather than being tucked away in the study out of the way.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK

This sent from my work issued Toshiba, because EVERY Apple laptop has a
$%@^$# built in camera. Not every facility allows cameras.

I may be wrong but guess you might not have children yet?
My 19month daughter loves the iPad-we read the books etc and she loves the drawing apps.

Kids are going to grow up with this stuff-and the interfaces seem to make sense right away (fitting the natural instinct to touch what you want)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
What a ridiculous thing to say. Why shouldn't a 3 year old be allowed to play on it? There are plenty of child friendly apps out there. My 16 month old son likes to play on it. You need to move with the times, kids love this type of stuff and it's as much a part of growing up as learning how to use a pencil.

With regards to social interaction, that's one of iPad greatest assets, sharing with family and friends, rather than being tucked away in the study out of the way.

How about getting on the floor with the 16 month old or three year old and playing fire truck, or giving horse rides. Three year olds "accidentally" delete your e-mail because you give it to them, and then go about your business. Kind of like sticking a tape of that purple dinosaur in the vcr and telling them to behave while mommie or daddy entertains their b/f , g/f, or whatever. If they are sitting on your lap, while playing with that child friendly app, how does your important e-mail get deleted ?

Dude when I have people over, we don't sit around the computer, we work on an old car, fish, hunt, go four wheeling, or run a train on the neighbor lady.

Dude, change ain't always for the better ...

Yes I have three kids. The youngest is 18. Their mother was a stay at home mom. Granted during that time we didn't drive new cars, but the were raised by us, not a computer, tv, vcr, dvd player, or child care facility.

I may be wrong but guess you might not have children yet?
My 19month daughter loves the iPad-we read the books etc and she loves the drawing apps.

Kids are going to grow up with this stuff-and the interfaces seem to make sense right away (fitting the natural instinct to touch what you want)

The key word is WE. Because its WE, I doubt that she accidentally deletes your e-mails. You use it no differently than I used coloring books and story books with my kids.

fatgit

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
My ipad gets passed around a lot.
People borrow it to check things online, have a go on a game etc. So far, I've trusted them not to pry where they shouldn't as I'm always there with them, but the ipad is turning into a piece of social hardware, and thus needs some form of multiple accounts, or access restrictions on it.

rpryor

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
ok but in all seriousness...we purchased 24 iPads for the use of a mobile lab in the classroom...we also have roughly 1000 users that will use it and we have an active directory infrastructure that folder redirects their personal folders on every desktop/netbook to the SAN storage device...as of current (iOS 3.x) there is no multi-user option and no remote storage allocation

they bought the iPads without any research and am now forced to "make it work"! it would truly be a blessing if they just had a lighter version of OSX on this thing than iOS!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
ok but in all seriousness...we purchased 24 iPads for the use of a mobile lab in the classroom...we also have roughly 1000 users that will use it and we have an active directory infrastructure that folder redirects their personal folders on every desktop/netbook to the SAN storage device...as of current (iOS 3.x) there is no multi-user option and no remote storage allocation

they bought the iPads without any research and am now forced to "make it work"! it would truly be a blessing if they just had a lighter version of OSX on this thing than iOS!

Have you looked at:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

I do think iOS could use a native file management system, but a lighter OSX isn't the answer, because a lighter OSX wouldn't have multitouch support. Apple's priority with their i-devices is definitely to make them easy to use for single end users, and support for multi-user environments is an afterthought, if there are even any. I feel pretty sure they will eventually get there, seeing how iPhone is finally getting multitasking, but it may take several years!!!

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Sorry folks. The iPad IS a personal device. We have three of them in our family. Multi-user support would only cause issues especially with storage space. We all have our own picture libraries and itunes libraries. On one iPad, it would fill up fast. It's different when you have a Macbook pro with a 350GB hard drive.

Also, having our own iPads gives us privacy. They are all password protected. Multiuser support would mean an admin which would have access to everthing.

No thanks.

rpryor

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010

Already read those articles when our sales representative sent us the quote. Those articles only show for authentication of the device and very poorly.

Basically what I gathered from them is we would need to rip out all of the apps and place a shortcut app to a webpage for signing in which would than transfer a profile configuration to the device to allow for certain configurations. Still bad concept as the last profile will show up allowing for improper authentication if the user chooses not to goto the website to sign in as well as still no off-device storage location.

I only said a lightweight OSX because it would handle multi-user accounts much better but would be a huge drain on the resources (cpu and battery).

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Sorry folks. The iPad IS a personal device. We have three of them in our family. Multi-user support would only cause issues especially with storage space. We all have our own picture libraries and itunes libraries. On one iPad, it would fill up fast. It's different when you have a Macbook pro with a 350GB hard drive.

Also, having our own iPads gives us privacy. They are all password protected. Multiuser support would mean an admin which would have access to everthing.

No thanks.

Exactly Chris, rather than having to hear complaints over hogging the iPad, I just bought three of them. No big issues there.

rpryor

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Exactly Chris, rather than having to hear complaints over hogging the iPad, I just bought three of them. No big issues there.

The problem with us is that if we wanted to give one to each student, it would cost us $345,000. Not something the taxpayers want to hear when they lack so many features, but hey must be nice to have your type of spending allowance!

So back to the discussion at hand. Multi-user and off-device storage settings, anyone? anyone? bueller?

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
The problem with us is that if we wanted to give one to each student, it would cost us $345,000. Not something the taxpayers want to hear when they lack so many features, but hey must be nice to have your type of spending allowance!

So back to the discussion at hand. Multi-user and off-device storage settings, anyone? anyone? bueller?

I was not speaking in regards to an educational environment nor do I much care about it. I was speaking in response to Chris who made a comment about his situation, and yes I do have quite a large spending allowance from all the money I make on my job.

Seriously though, what my spending habits have to do with this escapes me.

rpryor

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I was not speaking in regards to an educational environment nor do I much care about it. I was speaking in response to Chris who made a comment about his situation, and yes I do have quite a large spending allowance from all the money I make on my job.

Seriously though, what my spending habits have to do with this escapes me.

I know what you were referring to and it was a joke. However, my keyboard doesn't have a sarcasm key.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
We have to consider why the iPad was invented

IMHO, I believe the iPad was designed to be a personal device, just as much as your notepad or personal diary, or your iPod.
The day will come when it will be affordable enough to have one for every family member.
That's why I seriously doubt Apple will add any multi-user features to it. They want it to stay clean and simple, just as easy to use as a book, so people of all ages would feel attracted to it.
:apple:

EDIT: (sorry if I was repetitive, I just found a similar post above)

rpryor

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
So does anyone know of any inside scoop as to if multiple user support (specifically domain infrastructure) will be in the iOS4 that may some day grace this device? If not multiple user support at least some type of app that would allow for off-device storage onto the SAN.

bosox2009

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Did Mr. Willie really post "or run a train on the neighbor lady." I'm still laughing, even though I'm the one he dissed!

So password protecting the email app is a ridiculous suggestion?

mzajac

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Canada
Dudes heard of Gmail?

What's the big deal? If your school doesn't have webmail for the kids, it doesn't matter because they all have webmail elsewhere. If your school doesn't have local storage, let them get a free Dropbox account. There's also Google docs, Flickr, Wordpress, etc.

The iPad is a thin client.

Teach them about password security.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Basically what I gathered from them is we would need to rip out all of the apps and place a shortcut app to a webpage for signing in which would than transfer a profile configuration to the device to allow for certain configurations. Still bad concept as the last profile will show up allowing for improper authentication if the user chooses not to goto the website to sign in as well as still no off-device storage location.

Can't you ask all students to make sure they 'log off' (load a blank profile) when they're done? And if it isn't already done, instruct them to before using it. It's pretty much what I experienced in school... lots of computers would be left logged in by careless previous students.

Fmstrat

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
One thing I think is being overlooked is that there has been no mention so far of multi-user support on the iPad. It seems like it would be a device that could easily be shared amongst multiple people in a household, but there would be no clear way for each particular user to have their own unique experience. Say you didn't want your iPad experience to be cluttered with games, and you want to keep little Johnny from deleting your iWork files, how would you do this without buying two?

Here is a jailbreak application that is about to come out that supports multiple users/accounts on iPad, with all features (mail/web/applications/settings/etc): http://nowsci.com/userprofiles

Thanks,
B.

ARCHA1C

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Granted all you super-nerds may have multiple user accounts set up on your home computer. However your average family shares a single OS user account. They'll deal.

I bet these same super-nerds use customized presets for their car's power adjustable seats. Crazy nerds, all wanting a nice, personalized experience 'n' stuff.
Why can't you super-nerds just accept a moderately enjoyable and generic experience to save the poor Apple deelopers from having to add more features to their products (which are SO CHEAP they're practically giving them away).
Consumers are SO needy, amiright!?

kinpota

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
solution?? idk you tell me

well, with my experience on the ipod touch i was sharing with family, i simply downloaded multiple email client apps for our different email, fortunately one of us used google and enabled pictures to be synced wirelessly via picasa, anyway i am sure there are similar ways of getting around an example like this....
as for little Johnny deleting documents etc, i am not certain but i am sure i came across an app locker at some point, google it!? :/

hope this helps.

APPLE GET YOUR ARSE INTO GEAR!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.