Multi User

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreen4242, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

This may be obviously impossible to some of your, or maybe the other way around, but...

Is is possible to plug 2 keyboards and mice into a Mac and setup 2 concurrent desktops with dual monitors so that 2 people could use one Mac at the same time?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight...

Rob

2. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Has anyone ever tried this? I've looked around for third party software that might help out, but haven't had much luck...

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Are there linux apps that could do this? If so, you could run a dual mac-on-linux setup, maybe. I expect it would be pretty slow, though!

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It has been done with Linux, but it's a biatch... involves a lot of hacking and even then it only works marginally (sp?)...

This would be a feature that Apple could push for home based PowerMac users... buy a dual CPU PM and get a BTO option where they add a second display, keyboard, mouse, family OSX license, etc. that allows for two users to be logged on similtaneously. Set it up so that if someone is logged into both "terminals" then they each get a CPU (and say 512MB of RAM exclusively, with any excess being free for whoever needs it at the time). If only one user is logged on it behaves "normally". Build it into 10.4 or 10.5 and leverage it as making Macs cheaper for homes with multiple computers.

Anyways, since this looks like uncharted territory for the most part, maybe I will have to look into it. I'll have to research the way it was done with Linux to see if any of those ideas will point me in the right direction. I know they had to use a PS/2 mouse/keyb for one user and a USB set for the other, so that could be tricky.

Would be a really nice feature, imho. I could justify spending $2500 on a dual G5 if my wife and I could both use it at the same time. As it is the iMac is alot of computer for the price. Might get a lot of families to switch, too.

Rob

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What...

Yeah, it's called buy two computers. The logistics of multiple simultaneous users is much too complicated to have any real personal computing benefit.

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think you are entirely incorrect. The logistics of handling multiple simultaneous users are OLD hat. That's how machines worked in the begining. The dumb terminal is a very useful system, and is still used today in the range hundreds of thousands of users daily. This is what UNIX computers where designed to do in the early days of computing.

Most modern personal computers sit around idle while someone is using them. This is of course not true in many proffesional settings, such as graphic design workshops, or CAD departments, etc. But, at home, a PC is going to be mostly waiting on you, not the other way around.

The dual CPU architecture of the modern Mac desktop is also largely wasted. For the most part, a home user, even a gamer or 'power-user', can get most of what they need done on a single fast CPU, like a 1.8 or 2 ghz G5. Of course there are some poeple who need and use this extra power, but, for example, someone who would be perfectly happy with a G5 iMac, wouldn't really use a dual CPU PM.

There is also the time savings of having to administrate just one machine. Software and hardware upgrades, intstall, etc are cut in half. In a lot of cases thats a big help.

The ony real missing piece of the puzzle is sound. You would have to install a second piece of dedicated audio hardware for the second user, which would be no big deal if each one was dedicated to a discrete user, so there wouldn't be any problems with sound 'stacks' getting jumbles up.

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I remember reading somewhere that Tiger was going to be capable of simultaneous graphical logins...anyone have the facts on that?

But from what I know, and from its being a looked-for feature in Tiger, OS X can't do that yet. So you can login as many times as you've got accounts through ssh, for example, but you can't have two or more users logged into the same machine and using the GUI.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Guess you could install a flavor of PPC linux and run LTSP. I am guessing thats as close as you are going to get.

The so-called thin clients still require separate workstations however, although they wouldn't need much RAM,HDD, or processing power.

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That would be the greatest feature ever. I'll have to search around to seee if I can fidn anything else about that in Tiger.