multihome Airport + Ethernet (use in the same time)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mortem, Jun 26, 2006.

1. mortem macrumors newbie

Hi,

First, sorry for my English.

I was in trouble to config my network with Ethernet and Airport on PowerBook G4 with MacOS X 10.4.5.
    I found, that is not possible to use the Airport and Ethernet on the G4 in the same time. Which interface is active depends on the order in which I order them in the „System Preferences / Network / Network Port Configurations“.

I’m really disappointed about that constellation :mad: , because I was believing that MacOSX is multihome able. Now I’m wondering, if it exists a “hidden” Preference to get both interfaces (Ethernet + Airport) work in the same time, so I can connect from my PowerBook to Ethernet (cable) and Airport without switching between them. I know, that is possible with Apple X-Serve and the two onboard Ethernet-ports.
    Do you have some knowledge and can help me with that? :confused:

Thanks to everybody…

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

3. mortem thread starter macrumors newbie

What I’m trying to do? The PowerBook should be in both networks in the same time, because I have network devices on both sides (Airport / Ethernet). Second, the PowerBook should route the Airport to Ethernet. On Ethernet-side I have a second Router for Internet access.

But I solve the problem, -> no necessary to help me with this now anymore.
    I config the interfaces with different subnets and it works. Also internet sharing (routing Airport -> Ethernet) works for me.

BUT! I step into the next problem. Maybe you can help me with the following problem.
    I discovered that the range the airport acts in my home is very low. The distance between two airport devices should not become more than 3-5 Meters and should have intervisibility. If the distance get bigger or a devices becomes out of sight to the other device -> the connection breaks up in my case!

I know, that wifi-devices should have a range at least of 50 meters (indoor). So what’s wrong in my constellation?
    No Base Station or other Accesspoint is in use, only the Powerbook and a PDA, in a peer_to_peer wireless network. Unfortunately I have only these two wifi devices, so I don’t know which of them is to weak. Some advices I can do?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To share the connection from the ethernet to airport you turn on Internet Connection Sharing under sharing preferences.

The best solution is probably to join your Airport and Ethernet networks together either by plugging the ethernet cable into your Airport base station or by buying an ethernet hub or a different wireless base station (which more ethernet ports)

5. mortem thread starter macrumors newbie

To share the connection from the ethernet to airport you turn on Internet Connection Sharing under sharing preferences.
    -> yes, I have done that and it works, like I wrote.

The best solution is probably to join your Airport and Ethernet networks together either by plugging the ethernet cable into your Airport base station or by buying an ethernet hub or a different wireless base station (which more ethernet ports)
    -> my setup is only temporary, I have no Airport Base Station nor some other accesspoint in use, until now the powerbook is in the middle of wireless wifi and wired ethernet (ethernet-switch) and routes between them. As soon I get DSL (now 56k Analog), I will switch to other setup with a wifi-accesspoint.

But I still wonder, why my wifi is so weak, ...-> read above
    Is it, because I'm not using a powerfully accesspoint but rather only these endpoint devices?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't know it could be, I cannot create a computer to computer network with my dad's computer (which is right next to my wireless router which I can connect to) through several walls and stuff, so I guess it's weaker, but i could connect to several other computer to computer networks at Warwick which must have been a fair distance also through several walls...

7. geodome macrumors member

geodome

How is your dad's computer connected to the network? By Ethernet or Wireless LAN? It might be a firewall problem, ie. your dad's computer is rejecting your Mac's request to connect.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was trying to join a comp to comp network I set up on my dad's iMac (just for testing for this thread :)) it's through a load of walls so I'm not surprised... Normally I connect to my wireless router which I am typing this message on which works fine.