Multimedia Device?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 25, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

MacEdition posted a small blurb reporting that security has been heightened at a recently reclaimed Apple location (Mariani One), which became occupied by Sun in 1996.

According to MacEdition, the heightened security is to protect Apple's latest efforts:

These efforts include future iPod revs, to be sure, but Apple’s own Area 51 is apparently the proving ground for at least one major new portable device designed to bring postmodern multimedia goodness to the masses.

2. macrumors member

Set top box please.

ala Replay TV only with airport. no reason it coudn't do music too so you don't have to plug your ipod into your stereo.

there's too much portable stuff floating around these days anyway. it's a sea of junky little gadgets out there. (that's not to say that apple would make any junky portable gadgets, just that it's not a market I care as much about)

3. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, may be is something as revolutionary as the iCal...

4. macrumors 6502

Moonlight

OK

postmodern multimedia goodness ??? Sounds like a candy bar you would buy at the Getty center....Hmmmmm wonder what it could be ? portable DVD player with a LCD screen ? Digital Camera storage and viewing? electronic tummy toner ?

5. macrumors regular

Postmodern multimedia?

Quicktime streaming through a ipod like device?
    Not much QT programming though. Not many Aiport wireless nets either.

6. macrumors 68000

mcrain

We need a mole (a la Goldmember) to infiltrate Apple's area 51!

A Mole I says! A mole!

yep...

a mole!

yikes, a mole!

7. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Lets not forget what happened last time everybody started speculating about Apple's "Breakthrough Digital Device", and most people were disappointed because they expected more... (But hey, the iPod was cool...)

Just don't expect much, and you'll be happy... Maybe that's what Apple's doing... They're getting us to expect less, so then it makes their really good products look even better :p

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Multimedia Device?

ha, more than one then - apple toys for girls and boys - whoohoo!

could be branching out into different markets, which wouldn't be a bad thing - but an iBox? hmmmm.....:D

9. macrumors 6502

You are all stupid.

It's Apple's version of the roll-flat hose.

Only with AirPort. And it's clear and white and silver.

I know this because my big toes work at Apple.

-- J

10. macrumors regular

Is this facility an R&D place or a production place?

11. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

sounds like R&D

arn

12. macrumors 6502a

Lepton

Sony Ericsson P800

Considering that Steve whipped out a Sony Ericsson T68i mobile phone and demoed how Jaguar would integrate with it, and considering a Sony Ericsson exec came onstage to tout a collaboration, and considering Sony's long relationship with Apple, I've GOT to believe that Apple is going to do a number on the upcoming Sony Ericsson P800 mobile. This thing is a very, very nice mobile phone and PDA combination. Perfect for iSync-ing all over the place. Bluetooth, Java, messaging, EMail, images... movies? My money is on some specific, very tight integration with the P800 mobile.

You can check out the specs of the P800 here. The actual phone will have even MORE stuff, such as a memory stick expansion slot. It's due out very soon.

13. macrumors newbie

What "relationship" with sony? Sony doesn't make their cliés mac-compatible, and they're both fierce competitors in Laptops and Desktops. I'd say Apple has a better relationship with the merged SonyEriccson than Sony itself.

14. macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Re: Sony Ericsson P800

Wow...that looks pretty cool. The front flip looks like it could break off though

15. macrumors newbie

phone is cool but..

That P800 is a nice idea, but Sony/Ericson have some issues with the quality and durability of their phones IMO. I recently went to a Cingular store and they showed me one of the Sony phones that an employee was using and it was a creaky and flimsy (I think it was the T60)

16. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Are you telling me Apple is going to release a Barbie iPod version? The Flower iPoder?

17. macrumors regular

heres a picture that i found in some french web site,the device its hard to see cause its cover with some plastic wrap and the camera flash!!!

by christ sake!! this multimedia devices rumors are like a DejaVu!:D

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 6502

R & D Location

The Offices at Mariani are not production, they are R & D. They are right across the street (De Anza Blvd) from One Infinite Loop (Apple HQ). I used to live in Cupertino (moving back Monday!!) and when I was in High School, I used to spend some nights in the parking lots of the Mariani location with my girlfriend. During my Junior year my girls father was a Engineer working on hard drives back then, and hey when your 16 and you want to get it on, what better place than the parking lot of her fathers job, in the back of your moms blazer. Ahh the good ole days :) So Apple and myself have some some R & D at the Mariani location. I just progressed faster than say that DAMN 133 sys bus, ok Im done.

19. macrumors regular

That is a bad photoshop redo of an admited spymac fab.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors regular

YES, its bad photoshop redo ( i did it in about 5min) :p

and

NO, i doesnt come from SpyMac it comes from ME i designed and modeled (you can see it at my web page with other of my MockUps) i also publish it in SpyMac to see the reaction but thats a different thing :mad:

and is not suposed to be photorealist but just ironic
    but anyway ,great attention to details PonyBoy :D

21. macrumors regular

I stand corrected. I didnt really mean it was created by spymac just that that is where id seen it. But what is all this I found this on a french site stuff? That doesnt work here in MR we're smarter than that... most of us anyway

22. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Re: Sony Ericsson P800

That's a pretty slick phone. If Apple put one out with their touch, I'd buy one for sure. I'm in the market for this type of device, but they've been pretty sh!tty so far. We used to test all kinds of these devices back when I was with Nortel Networks. But this "looks" pretty damn good. Hopefully it functions as good as it looks.

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors 6502

Considering Steve just said how the next gen cell phones are the future, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an Sony-Apple phone with an "Apple-ish" design available to the masses.

Bill

25. macrumors 6502

"new portable device designed to bring postmodern multimedia goodness to the masses."

why overlook the obvious? I think this could be just a Superdrive for the Ti Book. Thats just my opinion though, could be more, could be that.