MultiNet P2P

Discussion in 'Community' started by j.ashton, Sep 10, 2003.

1. j.ashton macrumors newbie

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It sounds cool, but I have a PC.

This is an area that Macs really fall behind in and I'm glad that software is being developed. It sounds real nice.

(Maybe this should be in software discussion? :confused:)

:)

scem0

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

As it reads, it is a modified version of Poisoned... maybe it was improved a bit, maybe it has spyware now... no changes are listed, as I can see..

5. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

This site has a full change log, yes it has a more up to date code base and about 20 methods that are not in poisoned. The plugins and giFT core are also more receent. The Poisoned team is not realeasing very fast at all. NO SPYWARE or ADWARE or ANYTHING ELSE.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

you understand that... um You could send them this?

You could become a devolper w/ them?

Hello, why have 2 applications when one spawned from the other?

:confused:

7. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

Code has been sent to rizzi(the lead). They are slow at implementing everything so I am powerbuilding(free time) and emailing rizzi fixes and code and the mods. Oh and why have 2, because mine is more up to spec and has more options, people want uptodate software.

8. cloudaj macrumors newbie

i work on poisoned, i am a developer. Rizzi is very busy right now. What you SHOULD have done is come to the irc developers channel. We would have filled you in and given you developer CVS access.

You shouldnt have 2 apps. There should be one. You would add those changes to the regular poisoned and you would get your name in the about box. But i guess the negative to that is you wouldnt be able to solicit donations for yourself and con people out of their money.

9. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Accepting donations and con-ing people are two totally different things.

10. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so can I be apart of the team. Also where did you get this donations and coning stuff???

Thats not even asking, it's just saying, and wheres the paypal link? NOT! I do this for the coding and nothing more. Anyway like I said let me know if I can be a developer because poisoned is getting rotten with a lack of updates....

11. cloudaj macrumors newbie

come to the irc channel. irc.freenode.net, #poisoned

its an opensource application for a reason. We WANT our users to help out and contribute.

and the reason there hasnt been a release is because Rizzi has been away and no one else has the passwords and usernames and such to put up the release. Its very easy to build the new plugins in, as im sure you realized.

12. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I am threre.

13. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

um so does this mean the 2 apps are going to be merged?

14. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Why is it so bad if two apps are released? This happens with lots of open source stuff, and I don't see a problem. The personal insults@j.ashton were uncalled for IMO.

15. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yea, what about emule plus?

16. elmimmo macrumors 6502

While I always do appreciate free efforts to share with others, the choice of the name was a total mistake, bringing up possible confussion with a similarly aimed app called MLNet.

17. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

ML is a programming language, hence mldonkey and mlnet(written in ML), it is NOT MultiNet, it never was.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ummm... I doubt that.

They will add you as a devolper or something, and credit you with your help, but changing the whole name of it... ehh.

edit: And Mule is already named as you posted.

We don't have donkey support and I'd rather not people getting confused.

19. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

20. elmimmo macrumors 6502

Who said I was taking one for another. Oh, wait, I guess you are pointing everyone who mistakenly associated both names when downloading your sw to that quote.

I said it could be misleading, not that I had mistaken one for another. Whatever the technical mumbo behind each one is, both things are related to P2P, and hence it was a wrong name to choose.

21. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no other p2p app called MultiNet, I am free to use it however I what. EOF.

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Indeed, but you said you wanted the name to change into "

"

BTW, your working w/ poisoned now so it doesn't even matter.

Good luck.

23. j.ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

I was refering to emule plus in another context, and yes I am poisoned now so it does not matter... Poisoned will become the number one mac p2p app.

24. elmimmo macrumors 6502

I know this is pointless, since I guess MultiNet has been EOLed, but I just wanted to point out that I lament you took it the bad way. Of course you can use whatever frigging name you want. I already said I appreciate the efforts you share for free. My point was trying to be that while you shared your app with the intention to help people, giving it a misleading name was not very helpful to those not familiarized into mac p2p which might hear several similar names of completely different things in the same context at once.

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It pretty much is already.

:p

For name reconigtion not really, but for usage hell yes.