Multiplayer Between PCs and Macs

Discussion in 'Games' started by Schiffi, May 28, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

This maybe a longshot, but is there a game (perferably FPS) that a PC user and a Mac user can use to play together with using Wireless cards? Thanks.

2. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

Of Course,

Warcraft 3, Unreal Trournament 2003,
    Quake 3, Return To Castle wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune 2, basically ANY game thats out for mac is for the pc to. Another words you can successfully run any games for the mac w/ the Pc. The thing is that you would have to buy 2 of the same game, one mac version, and one Windows.

note: Warcraft 3, Quake 3 comes with mac/windows support (same package)

3. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

There is one blatant exception to this and it is the Age of Empires series unfortunately:(

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Re: Multiplayer Between PCs and Macs

i play jedi outcast on my friend's linksys wireless lan all the time. works great. as far as fps' go, it's not the greatest, but the saber action and force powers make it pretty cool...

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

So the FPS's work and nothing else does? I've tried Stronghold and Heroes of Might and Magic III and gotten both diddly and squat. (Unless you count several hours lost to frustration and cussing) Are there any RTS's that'll play nice?

6. Schiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Quake 3 Gold is listed on Amazon.com for $17.99. Will it run fine in OSX, cause ID states on the website that it is OS9 only. I wouldn't mind I guess. Anyone reccommend a wireless card for WinXP that works the best with Airports? How much work would be required if any?

7. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Off topic...

The problem from my experience is this; PC users have an unfair advantage when it comes to online gaming. Most games are made for PC's and then are ported (more times than not) badly to the mac. Hence when playing online they are playing a better, smoother version of the game than you are. This is especially true in first peson shooter games with the exception of Quake.

8. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Diablo II works fine and both versions were developed by the same company

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Not so fast check out this link:
    AOE
    I have had no problems with cross platfrom gaming, all the blizzard titles play without any problems.

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

So you've got AOE to be cross platform. Is there any patch or is two compatible out of the box? (the link expired. I would love to play cross platform with my brother in law)

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If you want to see it goto Apples wbestore and look under games. It really depends on who the manufacturer is, some companies do hybrid disks(blizzard) I'm sure they would do it for AOE since it seems alot more cost effective.

12. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

13. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

warcraft III works fine

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

15. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

Neither Age1 nor Age2 allows for cross-platform gameplay.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

well, do you expect to have good software come out of microsoft? I hope not.....

- scem0

17. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

I realize it's fun to bash Microsoft, but that really doesn't have much to do with it. The Age games use DirectPlay for networking, and there is no Mac compatibility library. This limitation isn't limited to Microsoft-published games. Many non-MS games share the problem (Aliens vs. Predator for example), and conversely there are MS-published games that don't use DirectPlay and are cross-platform compatible (Halo, for example).

Cross-platform netplay aside, if you're avoiding the Age games just because they were published by MS on the PC, then you're missing out on some good RTS gaming.

18. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I do agree that if you miss these you are missing some great games. Thanks for the info on compatability. Its just too bad it doesn't work:(