Multiplayer games over airpport?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jaykay, May 16, 2003.

1. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Does anyone know if its possible to play mulitplayer games like the ut2003 demo or WCIII over a standard airport network. Is it fast enough, or will i have to use an RJ45 ethernet hub..? I assumed airport would run games but, it doesnt seem to see it on the other computers. The more i think about it the less likely it looks....

Any help?

2. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

i play all my games over airport
    and it screams

its fine. its more then fine for mp gaming.

my 17" PB + airport = ability to go and game in the backyard while suckin back on a beer and takin in the sunshine

3. job macrumors 68040

job

Airport works fine for MP gaming.

I've played everything from WC3 to RtCW to MoH:AA over Airport. I've played with both OS 9 and OS X computers connected.

Feel free to ask more specific questions if you have any.

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I play ut2k3 all of the time, and I usually have one of the lower pings on the servers I play.

5. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Multiplayer games over airpport?

I had similar problems the other day when I wanted to play MoH:AA via Airport.

You need to open up System Prefs and select the Network panel. Select the TCP/IP tab. Select "Airport" from the "Show" pull down menu. Then select "Manually" from the "Configure" pull down menu. From there enter a generic IP address. 192.168.0.X usually works quite well. Simply replace the "X" with whatever number you want. Different computers will obviously need different IPs. Enter 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask. Repeat this process on all the computers you want to network.

Two Computers
    Turn on Airport on both machines and create a Computer to Computer network. Simply join the network on one machine, start the game and you are set. You should be able to see any hosted game on your Airport network.

More than two Computers
    Setup a Software Base Station on one machine, connect the other machines to the virtual basestation and start the game. You should be able to connect to any hosted LAN game on your Airport Network.

General Tips
    Make sure "LAN" is selected in you multiplayer game prefrences, otherwise the game will not search the local network for hosted games.

I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are about connecting to a LAN game via Airport, so I hope I haven't insulted your intellegence with my very basic and topical instructions. ;) :D

Happy Fragging!

6. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: Re: Multiplayer games over airpport?

Well, ive had plenty of mac networking experience, its just that i never really tried that much with the airport setup. The thing is, i have netopia 100base-t router that i currently use and it works great, i was just wondering if it would work. Thanks for the sweet replies though.

Also, was wondering, why is it that when i have the network using two connections with OSX (airport and ethernet) a game can only be run form an ethernet server if airport is switched off. (I was a OS9 network junkie, and havent done much with OSX on the networking side of things)

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Fine with DiabloII

playing DiabloII Expansion with friends over airported macs... and its just FINE..
    I dont know if it requires as much bandwidth as Counter-Strike or so, but it great with DiabloII...

8. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

No problems with airport gaming here - i play on a lot of computer - computer networks and its fine then too (very cool on long train journeys with a mate ;))

I've also had a 3 way game of UT on a computer-computer-computer network - not a router in site! That worked fine too.